Need help picking reciever and speakers

Brian Bowles

I am about to make a home theater. I need a reciever and speakers. I want to spend around $499 on a reciever. I looked at the Onkyo 595. Is this a good bet or do you recommend another? I have Klipsch Pro Media speakers and I absolutely love them. The problem is that I want to spend around $750 on the five home theater speakers. The closest store that has Klipsch is around 75 miles away. I am afraid that I can not afford Klipsch speakers. I looked at Curcuit City and they have some Infinity speakers for around $750 that sound pretty good. This is the set:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-6S5LSQtCn8h/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=12700&I=108HTS20&o=P&a=0 They also have some Polk speakers. You see I know I have a limited budget. At Curcuit City I can come back with in 12 months and exchange for a more expensive set if I decide to upgrade. How good are the quintets and how would they compare to the Infinity speakers that I listed above? Thanks so much for your opinions and advice.

Brian,

Although I've not heard that particular AV receiver, I have an Onkyo at home and I've happily steered several of my friends to Onkyo and Integra stereo and AV receivers. For the money, they seem to be some of the best receivers available. Their power ratings are pretty conservative (as opposed to some others who inflate the wattage or rate into 6 ohms) and they're built soundly. The "user" reviews on Audio Review are pretty positive, too.

Ross

I just checked www.yourinsider.com and found a price of $364 for the Onkyo. You could apply the $135 (under your $499 budget) towards your speaker budget. I'd sure encourage you to buy the best speakers you can afford. I'd also steer you to some very efficient speakers, to get the most out of your receiver's power... say, some nice Klipsch perhaps? I'll have to defer to others on speaker recommendations in your price range.

------------------

My System's Stuff

This message has been edited by RossVTaylor on 11-25-2001 at 09:44 PM