Newbie question - Denon AVR-887 and Promedia Ultra 5.1 Speakers

Neal

I am new to the high tech entertainment environment. The last speakers I bought were Sony G5's (circa 1975) and a Toshiba receiver so it has been a while. Things have changed.

I have recently purchased a Denon AVR-887 receiver and a set of Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers. On receiving the speakers I noticed there are only instructions to attach the speakers to a PC. I was planning on using these with my Denon receiver as I thought I read in other places on the net where other people had attached them to entertainment systems (I may be mistaken??) and had been pleased with the quality of sound (not looking for great - just good, with 5.1 surround sound).

Did I blow this big time or can I use these with the Denon receiver? If I can, how do I attach them to the receiver? Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

If your AVR's got 3 pair of RCA outs, you can just buy 3 RCA-to-Mini adaptors and plug them into the Ultra's.

Another option is if you have a digital out from your computer's soundcard, you can hook that up to your AVR digital in, thus, only using 1 cable instead of 3 cables you would use in the previous solution....

Thanks, I will get the jack converters as it would cost too much to return the speakers and I have no use for them as PC speakers.

BTW, this is the answer I recevied from Klipsch:

Sorry, yes you are assembling the incorrect system.The ProMedia Ultra 5.1 computer speaker system is engineered and designed for the PC...and is NOT recommended to be used with a separate outboard amplifier/receiver. Connection to a separate receiver can technically be done...however, it involves many alterations and will void any factory warranty and we can not recommend or suggest connection of a ProMedia computer system to any other receiver/device other than which it was intended.

We do make several other "smaller" satellite type speakers within our Reference and Synergy Series of products which are more appropriate for Home Theater applications and these are designed and engineered to be connected to a separate HT receiver such as the Denon AVR receiver.

Please consult our Find a Dealer locator from our website: www.Klipsch.com to locate a more appropriate home audio dealer (Reference Series) that may be nearest to your zip code. Our Synergy Series products are sold through Best Buy stores throughout the US.

Both sets of guidance are correct. Though it is possible to connect the Ultra 5.1 to your Denon receiver (or any other brand) you are not making good use of the Denon.

The Ultra 5.1 has its own built-in amplifier. The Denon has lots of amp power of its own. When you connect the Ultra 5.1 to the Denon, you are not making use of the amplifiers in the Denon.

The response you got from our technical support group was describing a very challenging process of eliminating the amp in the Ultra 5.1 so you could make use of the amp in the Denon. That is not recommended and it isn't a great outcome if you do it despite our suggestion.

For use with your Denon, you would be far better off with something like our Quintet III / Sub-10 combination. Though that is more expensive than the Ultra 5.1, it is far better suited to the task.

Sorry if we confused you.