Sub to match klipsch system

atleer

I could really use some ideas on subs.

I have the klipsch RF 3II system. It's a little older, but still works

very nice. I have never gotten a sub because I didn't need it living in

apartments, etc.

I now have the perfect home theatre room setup....i'm just missing one

thing, a sub. I would be using it for probably a 60/40 HT/Music split.

I'm including HDTV in the HT. I of course would like some low down bang

for the buck, but i definitely do not want to lose out on musical/tonal

quality.

Also, can someone please help me understand the benefits of both a sealed unit vs. a ported enclosure.

I'm looking for something in the range of 500-800.

I've been reading about several for starters. Listened to RW-12d,

Martin Logan Abyss (was not set up well). I want to hear an rsw10d

(would need to save a month or two). Also read about the rsw10 which is

on sale at onecall. Have heard decent about mirage s-12.

Thanks in advance!

Well - even though I've never really heard the Klipsch Sub12, many hear (pun intended) have and of those that have - I completely respect their opinion. If you look at my thread from yesterday you will witness me having lost my senses in asking for a sub recommendation for my RSX5's when the Sub12 was right underneath my nose!! Duh. [:$]

Anyhow.....IMHO, for your RF3's (which I've listened to many, many times) I seriously doubt you could get more bang for the buck than a Klipsch Sub12 at $437 at Best Buy. Would a RSW12 out perform the Sub12? Possibly, but only if you had the two side by side. But I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. Are there others that can out perform the Sub12? You betcha - but I suspect you'll be sinking $200 to $400 more for an incremental gain.

BTAIM (be that as it may).....good luck in your search and let us know what you ended up with and your thoughts so we may assimilate the knowledge into the Borg collective. [:)]

Tom

how does this Sub12 compare to the RW12d?

Thanks

While the Sub12 is one of the best buys in the audio world,as it can be had for around $450-500.The RT-12d hes better extension,quality and more output.

As it should as an RT-12d goes for 3x the price.The best deal is the Sub12,competes directly with SVS and HSU and beats them in some respects. So it is an incredible buy.

I know you addressed this to TheEar, and I am certainly not trying to answer for him. However.......

The Sub12 was developed after the RSW12 and as such, some of of that technology trickled down to the Sub12. Are the drivers the same? No. Are the amps the same? No. However, the drivers and amps do share some technology. The main difference is the cabinet design where Klipsch applied a different approach with the Sub12 to optimize the driver's output yet still keep an eye on costs. The RSW12 has better output, will dig a bit deeper, and has less distortion - AT IT'S LIMITS. IOW's....if you have both the Sub12 and RSW12 playing at 8/10ths, I suspect you'd be hard pressed to say which is better. Again, the RSW12 came to market 3 years or so before the Sub12 so the Sub12 has benefitted from some lessons learned. Now.....between the Sub12 and the new RT12d there's a world of difference.

Again, I would say that unless you could find an RSW12 for the same price as the Sub12 (or unless you just gotta have a copper colored woofer cone to match your RF3's), the Sub12 will absolutely do justice to your RF3's. Now.....if you owned RF5's or RF7's, it would be a different story.

How'd I do TheEar?? [:)]

Tom

This Friday through Sunday, Huppin's OneCall.com has the Klipsch RSW-12 on sale for $600 with no interest no payments for a year. OneCall.com closes on weekends. The RSW-10 is on special at $400. These prices are hard to beat.

I grabbed the RSW-12 on GP and have it hooked up to my Velodyne SMS-1 along with the RSW-15. The RSW-12 was NIB, perfect with authorized warranty from Klipsch. Go for it!!!!

Bill

Well Klipsch conveniently provides all the specs online [;)]

RW-12 Specifications

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/rw-12.aspx

frequency response21-120Hz ±3dB

max continuous output113dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

RW-12d Specifications

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rw-12d.aspx

frequency response24-120Hz +/-3dB

maximum acoustic output116dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m

Synergy Sub-12 Specifications

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/synergy-sub-12.aspx

frequency response24Hz-120Hz +/- 3dB

max continuous output117dB @30 Hz 1/8 space 1 meter

RSW-12 Specifications

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/rsw-12.aspx

frequency response22-120Hz ±3dB

max continuous output119dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

I

even conveniently listed them from quietest to loudest. Max SPL isn't

the biggest concern here, but you can assume that with a stronger

driver that it should have lower distortion at lower volume levels. The

Sub-12 being a down-firing design would be my biggest concern - so if

you can get the RW-12d for a similar price, then by all means go that

route. Combined with the extra processing capabilities I think you'll

also find it easier to integrate. That said, the Sub-12 is still one

amazing sub. I would love to hear the two side by side actually. It

should be really close.

This Friday through Sunday, Huppin's OneCall.com has the Klipsch RSW-12 on sale for $600 with no interest no payments for a year. OneCall.com closes on weekends. The RSW-10 is on special at $400. These prices are hard to beat.

I grabbed the RSW-12 on GP and have it hooked up to my Velodyne SMS-1 along with the RSW-15. The RSW-12 was NIB, perfect with authorized warranty from Klipsch. Go for it!!!!

Bill

And just where in the sam hills did you see this on onecall.com Bill? The only thing I found was: http://www.onecall.com/BrandDisplay.aspx?bid=438# I see no RSW-12 for $600. Who's leg you trying to pull here??? [:)]

And what do you mean you grabbed the RSW-12 on GP? What's GP??? Are you writing to us or yourself??? [;)]

Tom

The sale came in a mailer to Huppin's customers that covers this weekend's sale. It may or may not show up on the site on Friday. I went in early to make sure that they did not run out. They must have purchased all of the remaining RSW-12s and 10s that Klipsch had when the new models came out.

GP=general principles.

Bill

PS: Even without fine tuning, the RSW-12 has helped to even out the bass in my room. B

that's exactly how I was feeling, but now it's back to the drawing board.

I'm confused at why a reference sub would be released that cannot compete with the synergy version....Rw12/sub12.

So now I guess I'm still looking for some ideas....

What about the Hsu VTF3 HO?

that's exactly how I was feeling, but now it's back to the drawing board.

I'm confused at why a reference sub would be released that cannot compete with the synergy version....Rw12/sub12.

So now I guess I'm still looking for some ideas....

What about the Hsu VTF3 HO?

Cannot compete,being slighty louder in no way means ...cannot compete.Loudness,a minimum is needed to have a certain headroom.2-3dB less does not DQ a product,as it may sound,blend better with what you have(gear/room).

The HSU VTF3 HO is a notch better,,in fact it has solid 16Hz extension,and with the porting(what HSU calls TURBO) it is almost ruler flat to 16Hz!

You have not much to lose here,this is a Klipsch forum so I will stop here. [:D]