quality of streaming audio vs conventional connections

Daddy Dee

I've been considering using a wireless media server in my system. This would be more convenient than running a 20foot RCA cable from my laptop to the system. However, what I am wondering about is the quality of the sound. Is it any more compromised than playing mp3's from the computer? I don't know if I could discern any difference between CD and mp3 quality. Haven't really worked to do that. Just haven't noticed anything unpleasant in the sound.

I've read some very good reviews on the quality of sound with Squeezebox and folks are happy with Roku gear. I guess what I'm wondering, all the energy put into proper interconnects and quality of wire, what is the impact of NO Wire at all?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I just purchased a Squeezebox. It is unbelievable. The quality is excellent. Squeezebox uses a 24 bit DAC. I looked into the Roku but found a complaint by many that there is a noise problem. The squeezebox does not have this problem. I first tried the dlink media lounge and was very dissappointed in the fact that it alphebetized all of the music, even on a single album. The squeezebox plays the music just as they are on your computer. You can make playlists and it will play them just as you want. I am extremely impressed with this device. No more changing cd's. It is a great compliment to my home theater system. I highly recommend the Squeezebox.