ifi, upgrade speakers

bmendenhall

it might be cheaper to just upgrade to klipsch reference series, I know because I brought the promedia ultra then the dd5.1 and sws subwoofer. But then I brought and ifi and I just went well shit I am spending more money moderately upgrading and I could just buy a pair of the flagship reference rf-83 and be happy. I am happy btw.

It's been said that upgrading the satellites would upset the balance of the system or overall sound. Having said that, I'm also curious about this and would love to hear it for myself. Also, I'm not a big fan of making many small improvements because you wind up spending more money and it takes you longer to get the result you're really looking for. Maybe you should consider saving up for much bigger and better bookshelf speakers/set up(rb 75/receiver).

For the record, Andy did not shoot the idea down, he actually found a few reasons to try it.

Having lived with the RSX4 on an iFi now for the better part of a year I've come down off the cloud a bit. If you can get a pair as I did for $150 on Audiogon it's a worthwhile upgrade. Especially if you rip at 320k or better. It's not a night and day difference - to get that you would need to upgrade to a higher level of components. My guess is that if you invest above $500 you can probably outdo the iFi + RSX4 especially if you're not a bass-head but below that it would be hard to beat.

If you rip at 128 or 192 I'm not sure how much improvement you will hear....