Has anyone tried modifications on the rf25 crossovers ?

digiphobe

Hi,

I've had my rf25's for about 1/2 year now and for the most part am quite pleased with the sound but can't help to think that there must be some room for improvement: the mid's could be a little smoother and mabey slightly less aggressive in the upper mids. I'm running my system on a diet of tubes n' vinyl. Idea's....[8-)]

I saw your signature...are you a Massive Attack fan? If so, I'd say dump the vinyl and tubes and go with some newer technology that can handle the bass [:o]

But seriously, I don't think the crossover is the bottleneck of your sound right now. Moving your speakers as much as a few inches can have a larger impact - and certainly costs much less. I would experiment with the toe-in and perhaps even moving the listening position around. Crank up the music and walk around the room - you'll find that things sound dramtically different all over the place. If aesthetics allow, then I would even try addressing some of the room's acoustics.

At best, changes to the crossover are only going to affect the response in the crossover region of the system (provided no other passive equalizations are being implemented). And though I suppose one could argue that no crossover, including Klipsch's, are perfect - the stock crossovers are probably going to be at least 90% optimal. I just don't see the cost benefit ratio being worth all the trouble (and risk of it not being an improvement either).

Anyways, that's just one guys opinion - there's plenty others that really get into the crossover modifications. I'm sure they will chime in.

I think Doc has addressed the issue admirably (as usual!).

And while I DO understand the desire to tweek, without specific metrics to determine what the real problem may be, I fear this is a solution in search of a problem! [;)]

I guess I need to get to work on the rom acoustics thread! I will toss some stuff together on supreposition and a few basic fundamentals and then we can move into the acoustics 'stuff'. I suspect that you may realize more improvement there than by any change of components.