Hum in my system. How do I fix it?

rlhjr34

I have the Ultra 2 system and I get a hum in my center channel speaker when I connect my system. I've used two different shielded sub cables from my receiver to the KA1000 amp. I've even tried both inputs on my KA1000 as well. I've run the test pattern on my receiver for my speakers and there is a signal going to the subs. When I disconnect my sub cable from the KA1000 the hum goes away. However I've definitely seen them work when I run the test pattern. When a movie starts up I get a hum in my center speaker again and I can't get rid of it. I've tried the phase control on the amp and that doesn't do anything to fix it. Do I have a ground loop issue? How do I fix it if I do?

Thanks!

A lot of folks will be chiming in on this one as it comes up frequently. There are a lot of good how-to articles on the internet you can get just by doing a google search on "fixing ground loops"

I also have a hum and can't get rid of it. I have searched through the archived threads and have been able to eliminate my cable being the source. It only occurs when I power on my DVD player. I have tried plugging the power into a different source with no luck. Only connection between my amp and DVD is through optical cable, and if I unhook the optical cable the hum is still there. Only way I can get rid of it is to turn off the DVD player, but that is not a fun way to watch movies!!! Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thank you.

Are your subwoofers plugged into the same power outlet as the rest of your equipment. If your using a power center or a surge strip try plugging in your subwoofer into the power center or surge strip that your amp / receiver is plugged into. Use a grounded extension cord and just run it across the floor if you have to just so you can test it out. If the humming goes away after you have done this, then you have a ground loop problem.

I also have a hum and can't get rid of it. I have searched through the archived threads and have been able to eliminate my cable being the source. It only occurs when I power on my DVD player. I have tried plugging the power into a different source with no luck. Only connection between my amp and DVD is through optical cable, and if I unhook the optical cable the hum is still there. Only way I can get rid of it is to turn off the DVD player, but that is not a fun way to watch movies!!! Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thank you.

Intresting only optical from DVD to amp.

How is the video signal getting to your TV?

Repeat your test, but this time turn off your TV instead of the DVD player.

Does the hum goes away when you turn off your TV as well as if you turn off your DVD?

Whats connected to your TV....a cable box?...disconnect the video signal lead from your cable box that runs to your TV. Does the hum go away?

What type of plugs are on your TV and DVD? 2 prong or three prong?

Thank you for the responses. My sub woofer is plugged into a separate outlet by itself.

And to answer the following questions:

Interesting only optical from DVD to amp.

Yes only optical

How is the video signal getting to your TV?

S video from digital cable DVR. (coaxial from outlet to DVR)

Repeat your test, but this time turn off your TV instead of the DVD player.

Same results if TV is on or off.

Does the hum goes away when you turn off your TV as well as if you turn off your DVD?

Only if the DVD is off.

Whats connected to your TV....a cable box?...disconnect the video signal lead from your cable box that runs to your TV. Does the hum go away?

Nope still there. D@mn hum!!!!!

What type of plugs are on your TV and DVD? 2 prong or three prong?

2 prong for both.

The ground loop (sounds like you have one) may be quieted somewhat by making it shorter. With the sub on a separate outlet the present loop may be a big one going all the way back to the mains in ground and back to the other outlet. Putting it all on one outlet would shorten the loop - might help...

The ground loop (sounds like you have one) may be quieted somewhat by making it shorter. With the sub on a separate outlet the present loop may be a big one going all the way back to the mains in ground and back to the other outlet. Putting it all on one outlet would shorten the loop - might help...

I agree, give that a shot. I'm a mobile DJ and I have dealt with my fair share of ground loop problems. I can almost always eliminate them by making sure all of my devices are plugged into my power conditioner. You should be able to achieve the same result by plugging your sub into the same power strip as the rest of your equipment.

Even if you can't make it permanent right now a long three prong extension cord from your subwoofer to the power strip will work just to test it out and see if that's the problem. Then you'll know if that's the issue.