THX Processing?

toddvj

I am currently running a 7.1 system with my Pioneer Elite VSX-36tx receiver, RP-5 fronts, RC-3 center, and 2 pairs of RS-3's for surround and surround backs. I recently purchased two new Subs for rears. I hooked them up with speaker wire to the surround back channel output (Adcom Amp), and then out to the speakers. I have my surrounds set to large to get the Bass to my rears. My question is, if I set my receiver to THX, does the receiver still send the bass to the subs, or does it revert back to THX standards, and only send 80Hz and above? Also, my subs have a low pass filter, but no high pass filter. Will the sub "filter" out the bass, or will it send the full frequency to the RS-3's? I'm not really worried about damaging the RS-3's, I'm just wondering if I'm repeating some of the low bass information. Until I get a definitive answer, I'm just using "Standard" 7.1 instead of THX-EX. I like to use THX though, because I seem to get more seperation out of the surrounds. Thanks.

todd, looks like a great set-up & u should be good to go. all THX adds is their trademarked re-EQ, adaptive decorrelation & timbre matching. of course it's up to the pioneer what it does but u could switch to thx mode then check your crossover settings in it's bass mgmt.

i'm almost sure it wouldn't change your crossover settings. definitely does not on my B&K pre/pro. those should be universal in the main set-up.

almost all subs do have a high pass filter the way you have them hooked up. check your sub manual. should only be a 6db/octave slope though which is real subtle

especially for use with rs-3 as rear surrounds. you could bypass the sub high pass & hook the rs-3 in parallel with the sub off the pioneer rear terminals, but I wouldn't go to that trouble and expense myself. jmo

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-01-2001 at 04:06 PM

Boa,

Thanks for the info. I haven't had the new subs that long. When I first tried them out on THX, it didn't sound like I was getting that much Bass. It's comforting to know I can still use my THX processing. I have checked the speaker setting while on THX and it still said large, but I wasn't sure. On the high pass, my Sub manual doesn't say anything. It would be interesting to find out. I'm not good enough to tell by ear what my RS-3's are doing. I have the Low Pass filters set at 80. Didn't want to go so low I can't hear it, but not so high that it sounds sloppy either.