Going to be buying a home theater system, need some opinions.

Fretmaster

I'm saving up this semester to buy some new speakers, and I have a couple combinations in mind and want to know what would be better for me. The first system I have been considering is the Synergy line, and is a pair of F-3's, a C-3 center, 4 S-3 surrounds, and 2 Sub-12's. That would be around $3,000, and am also considering an equally priced Reference line system consisting of RF-82's, a RC-62 center, a pair of RS-52's, and one RW-12d (I'm also curious as to how this sub compares to the RSW-10d). I'm sure most would readily suggest the Reference line over the Synergy, but I figured the Synergy, particulary the subwoofers (down-firing instead of front-firing), might preform better because the system will be in my dorm (I don't the exact dimension, but probably something around 15x20, probably smaller) in a frat house next year, so ideal placement of the components may not be possible because there will probably a lot of stuff around the room. I just wanted to see what you guys thought, and any suggestions you have are welcome as well. The system will largely be used for music by the way, but it will be used for movies and games fairly often as well.

personally i like the synergy line. probably because i havent had the oportunity to audition a reference system. the sub-12 is a good sub. i dont think you would be disapointed in the synergy line. however, it seems like overkill for a dorm room especially with 2 subs. i have 2 F-3, 2 S-3, a C-3 and a sub-12 in my livingroom (about 20x30 with 20' ceiling at the peak) open to a kitchen and hallway which really should also be included in that measurement. the F-3's and sub completely rock my house.