For Erik... Lexicon DC-1 multichannel analog bypass update....

sfogg

Erik,

The mainboard is almost empty in that area and the new board fits in that space. Or it could mount to the video board if I wanted to go that route. I'd be using the 3M foam stuff which is 1/8" thick. The 3M tape bond gets stronger with age so it should hold it fine.

Shawn

Shawn:

The actual mounting is really peanuts compared with the primary work you did on this. As you said that 3M X2 sided tape is tough, and I think 3M actually makes a couple of versions of it: one for temp. bonds, the other to keep things in place for a long time.

I would like to use motor run capacitors on this thing in place of the electrolyitcs, and it would be fine with me if you tied them to the outside of the chassis with a few lengths of rope. If possible, maybe we can find some sturdy cord that would at least closely match the color of the chassis. If that doesn't work, I can make some big brackets out of aluminum stock and use heavy carriage bolts to bolt them to the top of the Lexicon.

BTW: If you would like some fine AWG teflon insulated wire (what are you using, 24-20AWG?), I can get some and send to you -- color-coded if that would help. The silver plated copper stranded is easy to work with (edit: well, sort of. That Teflon can be a little pesky to srip in the small wire sizes) and flexible for tighter spaces, if that would be an advantage.

I was thinking about this project today, and am really looking forward to trying it out! I've read positive reviews on dedicated surround systems with well-done SACD, and have been interested in trying that for myself for a long time -- all the more so since the first minibox and now with the DC-1. I think one problem with SACD is that these new formats don't, at least as far as I know, seem to be making much headway. In the meantime, two channel CD recordings seem to get better and better.

Thanks for doing this work; it's a smart idea.

Erik

Hi, Shawn:

The place you got the PCBs from really seems to be pretty efficient. I've been a little under the weather for a couple of days, but I will get the DC-1 packed up sometime this week. I just need to get some boxes and foam padding for it.

While we're on the topic of high-def. surround, there was an interesting, in-depth review in the latest issue of Sensible Sound. The component is a processor called the 'Optimizer,' and is made by a company in France called 'Trinnov Audio.' Among the features and technical descriptions, some comparisons were made between the way this device works compared to more ubiquitous/common DSP-ing. It sounds very interesting (not to mention expensive @ $12,000) to me. In case you don't subscribe to this publication, I'll enclose following link: www.trinnov.com/magazine/sensible-sound.php

Hopefully that will work; it's something I thought you might like to see.

Again, good news on the PCBs and parts, and I'll get things going on this end right away.

Erik

edit (sometimes helpful) Shawn: Sorry, that link doesn't work for some reason. You can at least visit here and check the products: http://www.trinnov.com/

Erik,

Yes, this place got the PCBs built and to me very fast. Shipping was quick too. Last Tuesday I ordered some parts from Mouser which shipped on Tuesday from Texas and they arrived today.

The PCBs shipped Friday from China and arrived today as well. When you feel better and get the DC-1 shipped just let me know so I know when to expect it.

Here is what the board looks like now...

Thanks,

Shawn

post-12845-13819321957012_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...