ceiling mount question

jhuguru

Hi

New to the HT world, and trying to plan speaker mounts. I was planning on purchasing the RF-52 theater system, which comes with the RS-42 surrounds.

I don't have a convenient wall to mount them on, so I was going to ceiling mount them using the OmniMount Stainless Steel 10.0 ceiling mount. This mount (specs available at omnimount.com) has a 1/4"-20 threaded post- which I believe is the correct size to mount the RS-42s. My questions were:

1. does this seem a safe/effective solution?

2. are there better ways of going about this instead?

3. is the weight of the RS-42 (10lbs as quoted by Klipsch) too much to hang on drywall? (using anchors, of course)

Thanks much in advance for any help you can provide.

Best,

Raghu

mount pictured below:

omnimount 10.0

Good advice as always Mark.

You do not have to 'aim' the RS surround speakers at yourself. They should be mounted ON A WALL approximately 2 feet behind you and 3 feet above listening head height. Without proper walls in your 'theatre' location, I'd just get bookshelf speakers and put them behind you. The RS arent going to have the desired effect unless hung on a plane surface (a wall).

They do come with a keyhole mount, intended for a heavy screw set into a stud location. For those building custom HT, please recess a 2x4 block or cut a piece of plywood into the approximate mounting location, like you would for your projector mount.

Though I wouldn't recommend it, there are drywall anchors rated up to 60 pounds I believe (they're metal and have machined screw holes that you mount into). A long time ago I mounted a curved masonite panel from my ceiling and it held for a good 3 months or so - but one day I bumped my head on it (don't ask) and it came crashing down. I'd say the rig weighed more than 20 pounds. I only used two mounting points though and I probably would have been fine if I mounted all 4 corners...

Anyways, if you could mount half the bracket into a joist, I think you'd be fine mounting the other half of the bracket using a drywall anchor. It's not uncommon for speakers to be mounted from the cieling like you propose.

"Though I wouldn't recommend it, there are drywall anchors rated up to 60 pounds I believe (they're metal and have machined screw holes that you mount into)."

Sure, fine for use in a wall, where the load is not trying to pull the anchor out ( 99% of the time ). If you use these in a ceiling, the load is trying to pull the anchor straight out.... not very safe. When used in a wall, the load is mostly downwards, not a straight pull outwards.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

New to the HT world, and trying to plan speaker mounts. I was planning on purchasing the RF-52 theater system, which comes with the RS-42 surrounds.

I don't have a convenient wall to mount them on, so I was going to ceiling mount them using the OmniMount Stainless Steel 10.0 ceiling mount. This mount (specs available at omnimount.com) has a 1/4"-20 threaded post- which I believe is the correct size to mount the RS-42s. My questions were:

1. does this seem a safe/effective solution?

2. are there better ways of going about this instead?

3. is the weight of the RS-42 (10lbs as quoted by Klipsch) too much to hang on drywall? (using anchors, of course)

Thanks much in advance for any help you can provide.

Best, Raghu

mount pictured below:

omnimount 10.0

How about placing them on a floor stand or use bookshelf speakers and place them on a floor stand.

The other possibility is to use ceiling speakers itself...

Few options, I guess!

Good luck...