REAR SPEAKER PLACEMENT

TI13GER22

i just bought a house and moved in, my problem is with my rear surrounds. the couch sits on the rear Wall so the speakers can't be behind it. is it better to mount them on the walls on an angle toward the listening position, or to mount them on the ceiling pointing down. hopefully i can finish the basement in the future, and have a better setup. my rear speakers are rs3's. any help would be appreciated thanks, and great forum.

Here's a link to a similar question, about halfway down I dropped in a link to wall install instructions, http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/727408.aspx

Hope it helps, let us know how you do.....

EDIT: Ok, after posting, I checked the link and while it takes you to the discussion, the link in that thread no longer works, so here is a link to your manual, see page12. Also, my sofa is against the rear wall too and my surrounds are mounted on Omnimounts to the wall above the sofa and slightly tilted down. http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/owners-manuals/reference_om.pdf

Best of luck!

You're welcome, and BTW, welcome to the forum, you will find lots of great information here, so enjoy!

As to your question, I am presuming you are setting up a 5.1 system, if so placement is usually on the rear wall about 7' high and about a foot in from each side wall to allow the angled side (wide dispersion) speakers to reflect off of those walls and "envelop" the listener.

For movies this has worked well for me for the past several years. Back channel information (in 5.1) is usually minimal so you want it as an "effect" not as your "direct" sound, because that comes from your fronts and center. The only time I really notice the surrounds specifically is when an effect (such as helicopters flying) goes from speaker to speaker.

You can mount them flush to a wall stud with a large head screw if they have the keyhole on the back, if they only have a threaded insert, or you choose to have the flexibility to "aim" them down or to the side as I did, to focus them a bit more toward the reflective walls, give Omnimounts a try they have a threaded insert attached to a ball mount which allows up/down and side to side movement for you to experiment with for the best room sound for you.

Set bookshelf type speakers next to the sofa facing outwards, bouncing off the side walls.

Or if no side walls, pull sofa out a few inches, put bookshelf or WDST speakers behind sofa aimed upwards. The reflected sound from the rear wall and ceiling will appear to be coming from BEHIND you.

Or use ceiling mounted speakers fairly near the back wall, wide of the listening area, with tweeters aimed in and toward the back wall. Same reflectivity principle as above.

Aiming rear mounted speakers down is not a very satisfactory solution in most cases.