Simple mod for the Epic series !

Dutchman

My Epic CF-2 speakers ( with in each one only one front fireing basreflex port...on the Klipsch website is still a wrong picture of this speaker, as they show a CF-3 ) has been modified at no costs at all !

I had the version with the 5" long porttubes.

Later rev's had 2.5"

The only thing I did was taken the ports out and got a woodsaw and shortened it at 2.5" length ! I also took out the foam that is behind the mid speaker. There were two parts of foam folden together behind this upper woofer ( for the mid freq.) and I left just one piece in there.

I own this speakers for 8 years and these simple modifications were a big improvement IMHO

You have the 1st version CF-2's, and you changed them to sound more like the 2nd & third versions. watch out though, you messed with the tuning frequency by cutting the ports shorter. It could be bad for those woofers.

Well I did a few searches: Internal wires are colored, OFC. Horn is black instead of grey. According to the serial nr my CF-2's must be the first version. But the first version didn't have colored internal wires and a black horn !

So something is strange. I suggest that I have a "special" version ;-)

That's why I finally shortened the ports and IMHO this can not go wrong anyway!

I love them too ! But always like to improve things.

It was an improvement to place the speaker with it's spikes on a marmer plate, and between this marmer plate and the floor I placed 4 squash balls. This uncoupled the speaker from the floor.

The speaker is heavy enought to stand stable. I did not cut the squash balls into two halfs...( for my CD player for instance I used 4 half squash balls )

The improvement was a better sound image and a different bass. Less boomy.

Cutting the port tube shorter is going to raise the tuning frequency...in this case, probably around half an octave. If the frequency response was flat before the change, then the mod will result in an earlier, steeper roll off with a bump before the roll-off...probably around 3dB.