Crossover setup * Time to Tune Please Help*

NOSValves

Okay I took the dive and ordered SF-2's and SS-1's to replace my Quintet fronts and rears. I just couldn't handle the Music side and over powered center with the Quintets. I have a KSW-15 sub and Sc-1 center. Powered by a Sony STR DE-975 receiver.

My question's are... What should I set the speaker size to for all of them ? also what should I set the crossover to for all of these ? Should I leave the Sub with LFE hookup or something different ? I'm looking for a starting point when these show up next week ?

Thanks Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 12-11-2001 at 09:22 AM

noss, i still don't understand the input schematics on the ksw15 but a single interconnect from your sony sub out to the LFE in makes the most sense to me.

take it the sony has an adjustable crossover. w/ that I set all speaks to small & my cross at 50hz. situations of course vary. i'd just start it at the thx standard 80hz & dial it down from there & listen for the best blend w/ the ksw for u. turn the crossover on the ksw all the way up to 120hz or whatever, though that shouldn't matter as the LFE input

is nonfiltered and should bypass the ksw crossover I do believe.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa12 yes the crossover is adjustable seperately for the center , front and surround. Wouldn't this setting be different for all the speakers ?? I would think that the SF-2s would be able the handle more bass than the SS-1s and SC-1 center wouldn't it ??

There is also a setting for the LFE high cut. What would you think that should be at ?

The factory settings for all of these is at 120. I tried changing and it didn't seems to help with the quintets. Don't they cut out at 120 ??

yes if u can do that definitely the SF should be able to handle a lower crossover & the sc & ss would be best

set at 80hz or maybe even higher. just takes some experimentation to see what sounds best overall for u.

don't know your receiver exactly, but the ideal i think

would be to send LFE only to the sub & not cut that off

at all or set it to the highest possible - 120, 150hz whatever. the dolby standard for LFE is 120hz but possibly could go higher to like 180hz. shouldn't matter much w/ most mixes as long as u don't cut it below 120hz but if possible don't cut your LFE channel at all.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Okay received my SF-2s and SS-1s monday and man what a difference exspecially in music. But anyway's I need some help from the experts around here. I want all I can get out of these Smile.gif.

So I now have the crossover on the SF-2 , SS-1 and SC-1 all at 100hz and the LFE high cut at 120hz. It sounds incredible compared to the Quintets but I'm sure there's more there.

Now the specs say the SF-2 go down to 35 hz, SS-1s and SC-1 go down to 60 hz. Should I set there crossover just above that or at that ??

The KSW-15 specs say that they go 24hz to 90hz. Boa12 suggested I set the LFE High Cut all they way up which is 200hz. Is that the case ??

I'm very new to tuning a HT setup so please help me out. I want to blow my friends away when they come over. A few of those guy's are Bose lovers LOL !!!

nos, again u don't want to cut lfe & i would send it only to sub. this file here may help explain lfe.

iow, there's a big tech dif between LFE & low bass.

the lower limits of your speaks (or upper for your sub)

are maybe guidelines at best. if u want a general rule try the about 10-15hz above the speaker low freq cross points, but really nobody can tell u how it sounds to u. when u play bassy music, the settings should be where u can't tell anything's coming directly

from the sub. it should blend in w/ the whole experience. but even there, some like a lot o' bass & directionalty from their sub. dif strokes..

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa12 thanks for the link it was helpfull. Today I played around and set the SF-2 to 50hz, SS-1 and SC-1 to 70 hz and put the LFE high cut at 200 as you suggested. It really sounds great right there I can't hear anything that tells me the subs position at all Smile.gif.(although its really thumping the floor)

Trying this with the Quintets just seemed to produce distortion. I'm pleasantly suprised with how my system produces bass that really hits hard now. sure am glad I bought the SF-2 and SS-1s way better than the Quintets at music and to some extent movies.