KG 5.5 10" speaker needed and refinishing tops

Danthemmaann

I just bought a pair of these and one of them has a rattle at higher volume in one of the speakers. I have not taken it out to look at the inside yet but the outside looks fine Where do I purchase one and what is the average cost? If I buy a new one can I just put it in or is there anything else I should do when replacing it?

Also I have a darker colored water spot on one and the other speaker has a raised area in the grain which I was told was from water. That one is not discolored but as I said the grain is raised. Are these veiner or wood?

Can I sand them and refinish the tops?

"I just bought a pair of these and one of them has a rattle at higher volume in one of the speakers. I have not taken it out to look at the inside yet but the outside looks fine Where do I purchase one and what is the average cost? If I buy a new one can I just put it in or is there anything else I should do when replacing it?"

Woofer rattle? Check the screws for tightness... also try rotating the 10" woofer 180 degrees (ie: turn the top towards the bottom ). The suspension may have sagged over time, and you may be able to get more life out of it by rotating the woofer.

You should be able to obtain a replacement woofer from: 1-800-klipsch. Call monday, option 3. It helps if you have the serial number information written down on a piece of paper. As for the water spot, I am unsure of the type of finish on the speaker, if you take a pic of the serial # tag, I am sure that someone here can chime in what type of finish. ( vinyl over MDF substrate or wood veneer over MDF substrate or veneered plywood )

Also with the serial #, the date of manufacture can be decoded. Someone here has a link to the breakdown.... hopefully they can point to it.