Refinshing KG5.5 Tops

Danthemmaann

I have just purchased a pair of Light Oak KG5.5 One of them has a dark stain about 5 inches in diameter but the wood has not been raised or distorted in any way. The other has no stain but the wood on the top has a raised area about 8 inches in diameter. Are these speakers a veneer or ? I can look inside and the inside shell is wood. If you look at the edge of the back on the outside shell it looks like a particle board covered by a wood veneer or ? It is very hard to see the edge of the unfinished back as the edge looks like its painted black. I would just like to refinish the tops as the rest of the speakers look really nice. Ser # is 053598865 Light Oak. Can anyone tell me what they used for a finish on these or direct me to a sight that would tell me this?

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kg-5-5.aspx

Dan, Klipsch veneers both inside and outside, I think this has something to do with keeping the moisture content in the substrate more even, and keeping the panels from changing in size. As per the e-mail, try the lacquer thinner on the worst top.

Looks like something hot was put on that on, you might try a light scrub with white 3M scotchbrite, to try and get the grain to come clean. The scotchbrite will not remove very much material at all, if it does not look like it is doing anything, move up to the grey 3M scotchbite pad. ( both sold at autobody shop supply houses )