Help me get rid of Hum in sub

holabird

Sounds like a ground loop.

While a cheater plug may work - it is not the safest option available. I have used and still use them all the time, but knowing full well that I might receive a shock (which has happened a few times). Cheater plugs are just band-aids that cure the symptoms, not the problem.

Can you get the hum to go away by unplugging others things from the receiver while it's turned off? Are your sub and receiver plugged into an outlet on the same circuit breaker? The typical culprit for ground loups in the home is the coax cable feeding your cable/satellite TV. I would start by unplugging anything from the receiver that also connects to the tuner. If that doesn't help, then just starting unplugging things one at a time systematically until you can get rid of the hum. Once you find the problem, then it'll just be a matter of implementing the proper fix.

Adding to what Mike has said...if you find that it is the addition of the sub to the rest of the gear, you might try 'directional cables' - No! These are not he silly cables where the electrons are supposed to flow better in one direction than the other, but rather they are the audio interconnects where the shield is 'lifted' (disconnected) only on the end away from the pre-amp (and mark the connected end with tape, etc. for future reference!). This will preserve the 'shielding from RF/EMI while eliminating a ground path between the differing potentials between the two grounds of the two pieces of equipment - thus eliminating a ground loop path while preserving the AC chassis ground for safety's sake that a cheater plug eliminates.

Bees would be my second guess...