ProMedia GMX A-2.1 Impressions + One Question

Hi,

OK, so i blew my 4.1s last week. Got the Ultra 2.0 but returned it to get this system. Having owned 2.1s, 4.1s and 5.1s I wasnt expecting too much from the GMX series but I am simply amazed at how good it sounds. Its certainly no less musical than any previous ProMedia system that i've owned. To me the system sounds just perfect and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a 2.1 setup. I do have one gripe though, the hiss from the satellites is a tad bit louder than i'd expected. The satellites have to be placed atleast 4 feet away inorder to subdue the hiss, but once setup appropriately, it is pure audio bliss.

And now my question, could the hiss be reduced by connecting the system to a soundcard that offers line-out rather than headphone-out ? Whats the technical difference between the two ? I am asking this because it says this system is designed to be connected to line-out rather than headphone-out in the manual. I suppose there is a technical difference between the two which might have caused the hiss.

Enjoy!

PS: High Volume testing not performed so far.

After carefully listening for 2 days, I can now hear differences between the old ProMedias and the GMX. The mid-range, epscially the vocals on the GMX are slightly laid back and there is an emphasis on the higher frequencies which makes it sound very sharp. The subwoofer also goes higher than the older ProMedias, making it ideally suitable for Games and Movies. However, it sounds fine for occasional music listening.

For people comparing the GMX to Logitech Z-2300, the GMX has better satellites and the subwoofer is more musical. However, the logitech sub can go louder ( while not being so musical ).

Enjoy!

PS: High Volume testing still not performed so far :-)