Sub volume control

xdetroitx

So, I have the rw-12d sub. With it having its own volume control what should I set the sub at in order to get the proper level? In other words I would like to just control the sound with my receiver. I know its really just personal preference, but what do the pro's think? What's recommended? should I set it at 0 and leave it alone, or ???

I would say it could depend on your receiver, I have a Denon, and once you go past 0db on the level setting for any speaker, it will "limit" the max volume from the receiver. I have my RSW-10d set at -6db on the sub, and that gives me alot of room with the receiver before I hit the 0db setting, usually the receiver is around -7 db, but if more sub is needed than I have some volume I can add  through the receiver setting for the sub.

I prefer to set the volume on the receiver to 0dB and then adjust only with the volume dial on the subwoofer. I also prefer to have the mains set to 0dB and then tweak all the other speakers around that. The reason for this has to do with rounding errors in the digital domain - long story short, you lose a bit of resolution when you change the output level digitally (which is what those settings are doing). It's not a huge deal, especially if you up-sample, but it's just one of them things that sits in the back of my mind and probably drives a placebo more than anything.

The most important thing is that the volume of the subwoofer is correct - you've just got multiple tools to get there so use whichever sounds best or is easiest for you to do if you can't hear a difference.

You should have just enough volume on the sub so you barely know it's there...............it also depends on how you have it hooked up, if you have 2 rca connections on the back of the sub and use a Y connector you need less volume..............I only use one (of 2) connector and turn the volume up, this setting works best for me...............bottom line, subs are a pain in the *** to get right...........the EAR is the best person to ask, he is the best with subs on this forum................hands down..................