Which Surround? RS-7 vs. RS-62, Rear Surround Suggestions?

Saturn5

I've recently begun assembling a Reference 7 system. I bought my RF-7's about a month ago, and I just ordered an RC-7 from Ebay tonight. I'll be needing to get some surrounds next, and was wondering if I should look for matching RS-7s, or if the RS-62 would be better? I wanted to keep all Reference 7 stage speakers to be sure the timbre matched properly. How critical will that be on the surround?

Also, what would you recommend for rear surround? I'll probably add those last, so my options may change by the time I get around to them. I was thinking RB-75, if I can find them.

I too have an RF-7 setup. For my surrounds I went with the RS-62's. I previously had some cheap $50 yamaha surrounds and the 62's make an unbelievable difference. I have not noticed any problems with timbre matching. I personally like the 62's because of the angle they are made at. The horns cover 90's and with them both being perpendicular to each other it covers a full 180 degrees, perfect for hanging on a side wall. Its also nice having both 2 horns and 2 woofers. I have never tried the RS-7's so I can't comment on them. I'm sure they are great too, I basically went with the 62's because my roomate got me a deal on them and ordered them directly from Klipsch. For my rear surround I have an RC-3II. Mostly because I previously had it with my RF-3II's, which I still have in front with my 7's.

Why not go RF-7 for the surrounds as well?? I will tell you from experience with an RB-75 set up for front and surrounds: nothing beats the same speaker everywhere in that set up. My RB-35 rears stick out quite a bit to my ears, as does the RC-7 (though much less so). If you are a fan of music in DLP II or Neo:6, the same speaker all around is killer. If you are only using this for movies and dont want to dedicate the real estate to RF-7's, I would stick with the RS-7 or RB-75 for surrounds and the same for the rears, though some movie fans still swear by the ultimate timbre match approach.

The initial surrounds for a 5.1 setup will be at the sides of my listening area. I'm setting this up in the living room which is roughly square. I'm considering the RS-7s, but wasn't sure if it was as necessary to get them for proper timber matching, compared to using the newer RS-62. The advantage of the RS-62 is it's currently in production so there's no rush to buy them. Reference 7 series I have to grab when I can find them. I don't have enough room for RF-7 rear surrounds (would that be overkill?) - so I was looking at the RB-75 as a good bookshelf mate to the RF-7.

And I'd love to find an RSW-15 in cherry, but it's not in the budget at the moment. New pre/pro and amps come next. I'm probably going to go with Outlaw, but I haven't decided yet. Also, I'm not sure how much power I want for the RF-7s. I was originally looking at the Outlaw 125wpc x 7, but from what I've been reading, I may want to bump that up some to give the 7's some breathing room.

Thanks for the info! This is my first home theatre build in a LONG time. To give you an idea, my old AVR is a Pioneer VSX-5000 with "Dolby Surround." For years I've just been using my Promedia v2-400 as my home theatre since they sounded better than my old stereo. It's like taking ear plugs off and realizing what I'd been missing - and the Promedias are pretty awesome computer speakers. [:P]