Opinions wanted: Is the Altec Lansing 416-8A Alnico 15" a Good / Great replacement for the K-33?

Good2BHome

Is the Altec Lansing 416-8A Alnico 15" a Good / Great replacement for the K-33?

To be used in 1974 Cornwalls with original B2 crossovers.

Mike

Original crossovers in A 1974 cornwall would be type B.  Not B2.

Bob

Good2BHome

Ok, it goes something like this...while the FS are close and the SPL is close, you would actually be going backwards because the 416-8 has an effective impedance of 6.9 ohms vs the 3.8 or so of the K-33...so in essence...you would have less bass due to the higher impedance of the 416....think in terms that your starting point would be -3db from where your woofers are now and you would have to drop the cornwall mid and tweeter -3db to break even and another -3db to allow the 416-8 to overtake the horns.

Good2BHome

Ok, it goes something like this...while the FS are close and the SPL is close, you would actually be going backwards because the 416-8 has an effective impedance of 6.9 ohms vs the 3.8 or so of the K-33...so in essence...you would have less bass due to the higher impedance of the 416....think in terms that your starting point would be -3db from where your woofers are now and you would have to drop the cornwall mid and tweeter -3db to break even and another -3db to allow the 416-8 to overtake the horns.

Thanks! I understand the explaination and accept it.

Bob,

You are correct. They do have "B" crossovers in them. Sometimes, when in a hurry and tired the brain is not always engaged. I didn't have to look, I knew that!

Summary: One less project.

Mike