Linn Sondek LP12 making music!

lwhaples

I bought the TT from a local seller maybe two weeks ago,who ended an ebay auction early to make the sale. I was able to get it running tonight after some small issues.Amazed! I have two Thorens TD 160 MKII 's one with a modded Rega RB250,the other with a SME. But the Linn is simply sweet! I can see why they are sought after.This one has the Basik Plus tonearm and a box on the back so as to use RCA jacks. I installed my Denon DL103 cartridge,is there another I should consider? Still need to check a few things, but I feel it was well worth buying yet another TT for my collection.

Larry

Nice to see you've got it going. The LP12 is not as hard to set up or as tweaky as some people led me to believe. I can suggest a cartridge I did have trouble with. I tried a couple of the Grado wood bodies cartridges. Hummed pretty bad as soon as the tonearm was moved over the platter.

Mark, It's one of the early models.I paid $500. for the TT,would hate to pay much more than that for a cartridge. But, my first Thorens cost more so who knows?

Larry

Try a Dynavector 10X4 or a Goldring 1042 in that price range. I mean there are probably 100 cartridges that would work, but these are two I have tried and really liked.

I bought the TT from a local seller maybe two weeks ago,who ended an ebay auction early to make the sale. I was able to get it running tonight after some small issues.Amazed! I have two Thorens TD 160 MKII 's one with a modded Rega RB250,the other with a SME. But the Linn is simply sweet! I can see why they are sought after.This one has the Basik Plus tonearm and a box on the back so as to use RCA jacks. I installed my Denon DL103 cartridge,is there another I should consider? Still need to check a few things, but I feel it was well worth buying yet another TT for my collection.

Larry

If I recall correctly the Linn Basik arm has an apparent mass of between 12.5 and 13.5 grams depending on model. This is perfect match territory for the 103. You could spend a whole lot more money on the cartridge and achieve little benefit - if any. Personally I would be very tempted to stay where you are.

What phono stage are you using? That will have an effect on the sonics..

Mark, It's one of the early models.I paid $500. for the TT,would hate to pay much more than that for a cartridge. But, my first Thorens cost more so who knows?

Larry

Try a Dynavector 10X4 or a Goldring 1042 in that price range. I mean there are probably 100 cartridges that would work, but these are two I have tried and really liked.

Thanks Scott

Larry

If I recall correctly the Linn Basik arm has an apparent mass of between 12.5 and 13.5 grams depending on model. This is perfect match territory for the 103. You could spend a whole lot more money on the cartridge and achieve little benefit - if any. Personally I would be very tempted to stay where you are.

Max,

I'm using JM's Blueberry. I like the Denon 103,it sounds even better on the Linn than when it was on the Thorens with the SME.I'll give it some more time before I try another.I may try some different cables first.I have the cheapo's hooked up now.But again,will listen for awhile before I tweak some more.

Last night felt like when I first got the Thorens,after using an old Kenwood. But better!

Larry

Max,

I'm using JM's Blueberry. I like the Denon 103,it sounds even better on the Linn than when it was on the Thorens with the SME.I'll give it some more time before I try another.I may try some different cables first.I have the cheapo's hooked up now.But again,will listen for awhile before I tweak some more.

Last night felt like when I first got the Thorens,after using an old Kenwood. But better!

Larry

The spec sheet I have shows the Basik at 10g, which, on paper could be a good match with the Denon, but not as good as if it were 12 or 13 grams. I definitely would wait to jump into a new cartridge though. Get into to what you got for now. What do you have that Linn sitting on? This sounds stupid but mine did sound best when I had it sitting on a lightweight but sturdy little end table. Legend has it that the Linn's don't sound good on heavy, solid massive style tables or platforms. My current room arrangement doesn't allow for that but I thought I would mention it. Could be BS, but it's easy to try.

That is odd. I just checked the tonearm database and it backs up my figures: The effective mass figures are not showing up because they are buttons (typical)

Linn Basik LVV

Eff Length
229 mm

Eff Mass
(13.5)

Overhang
18 mm

Offset
24 degrees

Mount Dist
211 mm

Cart Mass

VTA Adjust

Mount
Linn

Headshell
Removable

Null Points
65.6 / 120.6 mm

Price

Template

Linn Basik LVX

Eff Length
229 mm

Eff Mass
(12.5)

Overhang
18 mm

Offset
24 degrees

Mount Dist
211 mm

Cart Mass

VTA Adjust
Y

Mount
Linn

Headshell
Removable

Null Points
65.6 / 120.6 mm

Price

Template

Ah - just a moment - there is an LVX + too but that does not have the mass listed.

Could be 10 grams indeed then - if the manual says it is we should go with it. At 10 grams it is only a moderate match for the cartridge.

Max,

I got my specs fom a Linn brochure on the Vinyl Engine here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library_model.php?make=Linn&selected_model=Basik%20LVX

It's in French which I imagine you can actually read! I'm figuring Larry has the LVX or LVX+... straight tonearm. The LVV was an S shaped arm, I've never seen one.

PS. Larry, per the lore, a wall shelf would be good. They supposedly just don't like those big slabs of granite/marble etc. I had mine on a cheapy little IKEA end table years ago and I swear it sounded better. But it might have been all mental!

Max,

http://www.vinylengine.com/library_model.php?make=Linn&selected_model=Basik%20LVX

It's in French which I imagine you can actually read! I'm figuring Larry has the LVX or LVX+... straight tonearm. The LVV was an S shaped arm, I've never seen one.

PS. Larry, per the lore, a wall shelf would be good. They supposedly just don't like those big slabs of granite/marble etc. I had mine on a cheapy little IKEA end table years ago and I swear it sounded better. But it might have been all mental!

Basik Plus,straight arm. Still amazed!

Larry

Max,

Well I do remember a little French. Interestingly they quote 10 grams for the LVX but then comment that this is subject to tracking weight. That is an interesting comment. If we are dealing with mass then it shouldn't matter - if we are dealing with weight then it would - but we are dealing with apparent mass and there I have no idea whether this is right or wrong.

I have a feeling it is actually correct - this might well explain the better than expected performances of the 103 on some arms where the apparent mass seems to be too low. If correc then every manufacturer should be quoting their apparent mass figures with a range of numbers to represent the extremes of tracking weight they can run. A denon's 2.5 grams would certainly get the most mass available and yet for genuinely higher mass arms it probably wouldn't make than much difference.

Sorry - rambling - amazing how a simple question can lead into a whole new world of possibilities.....