SB3 vs SF1 vs SF2?

PaulE

I currently have SB3s up front, and am waiting for a pair of SS1s for the rear, and an SC1. The SB3s have an 8" woofer and have a freq response starting at just 52 hz. The SF2 uses 1 6.5" woofer, but starts its freq. response at 40 hz. Why, with the smaller, same material woofer and build, does the SF1 give more bottom end? Is it the resonance that the tower provides which more than makes up for the smaller woofer? Would this mean that the SF1 would provide a perceptibly greater range than my SB3s? If so, I may move the SB3s to the rear, if I can cancel my SS1 order, and replace them with either SF1s or ever better, SF2s up front? Comments? Or, is it unlikely that anyone would hear the difference among the 3 models in your average, 280 sq ft room with all kinds of music? Thanks.

I have owned a pair of SF1's and listened to sf2 quite a bit. You would think this SF2's have more bass (with two woofers), this is not the case. The sf2s have a different crossover that provides for a superior midrange than the sf1 but you will not notice as much bass. If you listen to mostly classical music, go with the sf2's up front. if it is music with more bass, or you will be using them for home theater and don't have a sub, go with the sf1's for the front. I hope this helps. let me know what you decide.

Don't forget to go listen to them first!!

SF-1's go deeper because the cabinet is larger than that of the SB-3. Bass tuning relys on the driver, the box volume and the box tuning.

SF-2's don't go deeper than SF-1's. They will make more bass (but not lower bass) because they can handle more power and move more air. Thus, they are for people with bigger rooms or larger bass appetites.