Is going with 5 RC52 centers all around a good idea for a 5.1 setup?

robbyrob

I live in Canada and here it's impossible to find a complete Synergy F3 package (F3x2 C3 S3x2) since nobody carries the S3s. The reference line is overpriced (compared to the U.S.) but I managed to find a deal on the RC52 for $200 CDN so I pounced. I just ordered 5 of these speakers and will use them as a center, fronts, and rears to form a 5.0 setup. I haven't decided on a subwoofer yet but will most likely get the Synergy SUB12 once it goes on sale again at bestbuy.

I was just wondering if going with all centers is a good idea? Has anyone had good/bad experiences with this kind of setup?

Any advice on placement and orientation? ie. center horizontal, floors vertical, and rears vertical.

Thanks in advance, Rob.

So would you get rid of them if it wasn't a good idea? [;)][:P]

The dispersion is going to be wider when mounted vertically. Usually you want wider for a center channel, but that's a design tradeoff to make centers suitable for positioning above TV's. Some of the reference centers are using "tapered array" crossovers to widen the dispersion, but you'll still get wider when going vertical.

Are the tweeters rotatable in the newer reference speakers? If so, you can rotate the tweeters too...

Thanks Mike!

Yup, I'd have to go with a more traditional setup and try to re-sell four of the RC52s... but I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem finding buyers in my area at such a good price. :)

I just checked the specs and it does say "Tapered Array design for maximum dialogue clarity".

Sorry, I don't know much about speakers. I thought that Klipsch speakers had cones and a horn while most other brands had cones and a tweeter. Is my understanding way off? I'm guessing that I would have to open them up to do such rotating... I wonder if that would void the warranty.

If I go vertical for the fronts, should the bottom face the center or does it matter? ie. Say I have three RC52s sitting beside each other in front of me. For the right hand one, rotate it clockwise to make its bottom face the center and stand vertically. For the left hand one, rotate it counter-clockwise to make its bottom face the center and stand vertically.

Thanks again, Rob.