SVS PB10-NSD hum when gain at half and above

robbyrob

In an effort to troubleshoot, I've tried many things including simply plugging the sub into the wall without connecting the sub cable to it... and I can still hear it. Are there any other SVS PB10-NSD owners out there who have experienced this? If so, did you solve it or do you think that mine may be defective?

Thanks, Rob.

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Nope, it's a townhouse and there aren't any other cables nearby so I find it very weird. I've been in contact with SVS's tech support and they suggested that I lower the GAIN level to 20% on the sub and increase the dB level from the receiver. What are your thoughts on this workaround? I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I would rather solve the problem instead of going around it like this so I will continue to troubleshoot. I was thinking of grabbing a flashlight and turning off all circuits on my circuit breaker except for this one.

I've also purchased a Klipsch SUB-12 and if it doesn't hum then the SVS is going back. If they both hum then I'll have to decide which one to keep and maybe purchase a Belkin isolator powerbar or something.

Good call! I guess I can lug it upstairs and try it on another circuit. However, I've just tested the case when all of the circuits in the house are off except for the one that the sub is plugged into. Also, no other appliances are running on that circuit and I disconnected the cable tv at the house entry point just in case the cables run side by side somewhere. I can still hear the hum but only at about 60% gain and higher which is the same as when the other circuits are on.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of this for nothing? It's just the sound of electrical transformer inside the sub and I assume that this means a hum problem. Are there any other people here that hear this type of sound in their sub at full gain?

So, it looks like I will be returning the SVS because the humming is too annoying to live with and I could already feel headaches coming on after being exposed to it for only a little while. I've purchased a Klipsch SUB12 which doesn't suffer from the humming problem no matter how high I turn the GAIN knob.

Anybody have to ship a large and heavy sub from a Canadian city to Toronto? If so, please let me know if you went with UPS, FedEx, Canada Post, etc. It's a fairly large box and weighs 60 pounds so I'll definitely have to check all the shipping companies' websites but if you have shipping advice then please share. Worst case if it's too expensive then I guess I could drive there since it's only about 5 hours away.

Thanks, Rob.

It's a fairly large box and weighs 60 pounds so I'll definitely have to check all the shipping companies' websites but if you have shipping advice then please share.

I used "Same Day Right of Way" www.sameday.ca to ship a pair if Klipshorns (on a palette) from Winnipeg to Montreal ... as well as a some large (5'x4'x8") electronics from Vancouver to Montreal. Worth calling them for a quote...

ROb