matching subwoofer for RCS-4/RSX-4s ?

wallst32

I'm looking for a sub to go along with my RCX-4 and (4) RSX-4s; any suggestions? I had been looking for an RW-8, but they don't appear to come up for sale on the secondary market too often, so I'm looking for alternatives. My receiver is HK AVR-147. I'm open to suggestions for a Klipsch or non-Klipsch sub. Ideally, I'd like to spend as little as possible, and realistically, prepared to spend $250-400. I would expect a sub that matches my speakers to fall in this sort of price range anyways.

My room is roughly 10'x14', and 8' high ceilings. 3 sides of the room are completely walled off, and the other side opens up into the kitchen and two hallways. So I had been placing my sub in the front corner where two walls meet. The 14' length I mentioned is the part I would consider my living room area, but the open air area extends a few more feet to the kitchen countertop that is about 3 feet high and forms a partial barrier.

Also, I have noticed that most lower cost subs are not magnetically shielded. What types of devices could this adversely affect, and how far away from the sub would I need to place these devices?

Thanks.

I have a pair of RSX-5's that I was using in a room slightly larger than yours and they were mated to a Synergy Sub-12. Personally, while I'm sure there are plenty of subs in your budget range, I can vouch for the Sub-12. I feel certain a Sub-12 will mate well with your RSX-4's. It's also a sub you won't necessarily out-grow should you decide to upgrade your mains - well.....unless you went with top 'o the line Reference or Heritage. IMHO, the Sub-12 is a "sleeper" performer. I know it's a bit out of your budget, but I found one in a slightly damaged box at Best Buy and the store manager discounted it down to close to $400.

Tom

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the Boston area. I think I may shoot for a sub 10 or 12. I searched for reviews on the 10 and it seems that several people got it from BestBuy for $199 in the Nov/Dec '06 timeframe. Not sure if it was a black Friday deal or what.

Any opinions on some of the newer models like RPW-10 or RW-10d? They can be had at pretty reasonable prices on ebay; new in sealed box.