KWS-12 Subwoofer fuse problem

gator662

I bought my subwoofer in 2000. Has worked fine, recently noticed my light on the front was not lit. I pulled the fuse, appeared to have a burnt spot. I went looking for a 1.25 amp fuse, couldnt find one anywhere. So I bought a 1 amp fast acting fuse from Radio Shack. Put in in, blew in about 10 seconds. Did I buy the wrong fuse or do I have a problem with the subwoofer. I have seen some discussions here about the slow blow fuse, but where did I find those? So my question is, do I send it to shop or try to find the correct fuse and where can I find it?

• 2 weeks later...

Replace the fuse with a 1.5 amp Slo Blo type. Radio Shack part number 2701022

It's a common part so other places will also be able to supply.

I replaced the fuse with the 1.5 amp slo blow. It just hums, I still don't have the light lit on the front. I felt the back panel, it was very hot. So i unplugged it. Any suggestions? Is it fried? Is it worth trying to get repaired or should I look at replacing it? Thanks for your help.

Sounds like the amp burnt up.

I'd call Klipsch to see if they have any idea of repair; my guess is that you had a good 7 years on that sub and

may be time to upgrade if the cost to fix is too much. Good entry level subs from various manufacturers start at $300.

Some other forum member in the sub forum just had a fuse go out in his KWS-10. Hopefully he has better luck on "his" blown fuse!