Str-DA5200 ES and Rf-83's

laneza01

I have just purchased the 83's and am beginning to set them up. I know the nominal impedance is 8 ohms but from what i have read these speakers dip pretty low below that. I have the option of 8 or 6 ohm speakers on the receiver and was wondering if it would be better to just set it to 6 ohms or to just use the 8 ohm setting and see if it gives me any trouble. The wattage doesn't change or anything if i do this so that doesn't make a difference. I bought them from a dealer who was running a 5200 but sold it before I came in to hear them with it, although he said he never had any problems with it. Any advice is much appreciated.

Guest BobG

Use the 6 Ohm setting.

Generally, when an amplifier asks you to choose it is because it lacks the necessary combination of current and voltage to drive "any" speaker load. So you get to choose voltage OR current but not both. It's a sign of a less than great amp.

With very few exceptions, (oddball stuff) speakers have a varying impedance across the frequency range. this is true whether the speakers are rated 8, 6, 4 or any other impedance. The impedance is higher or lower depending on what frequency you're at. given this, it's best to choose the lower impedance setting on your amp which has it deliver more current and a bit less voltage.