Connecting PMU 5.1 computer speakers to receiver

GTXElecTriC

Hey guys,

I did originally post this in the Promedia 5.1 thread, but no one seemed to have any answers for me. I was wondering if I could connect my PMU 5.1 speakers to an amp so that I can take advantage of the decoding options. At first, I was going to use the Creative DDTS-100 system, but Creative discontinued that product, and pretty much all stores have exhausted their supplies of the product. I was wondering if any of you guys could provide me with step by step instructions with connecting my PMU 5.1 speakers to a receiver (Pioneer VSX-517-K/S). First of all, I was wondering if this is even possible. Second of all, the receiver is speced at 110 watts per channel, which is quite higher than the PMU 5.1 rating of 60 watts per channel. Will the satellites be able to handle this amount of power? Next comes the complicated part (at least for me). How would I connect these speakers to the receiver? The receiver has a 5.1 multi-channel input, if that helps. And if the Pioneer wattage is too powerful, is there any way to bypass the Pioneer amplifier and use the BASH amplifier in the subwoofer? After I install the speakers, will I be able to control the volume from both the control pod AND the receiver? [*Please list any cords/wires I will have to purchase to set this up!*]

Because I ordered the PMU 5.1 set piece by piece from Klipsch, I am limited one channel as the center speaker is on backorder. Is this an issue, i.e. will I still be able to use my subwoofer, despite the absence of a center speaker? Will the receiver automatically recognize this, or will I have to change some settings for compatibility.

Thanks for all your help guys, I greatly appreciate it. You guys are great and so is Klipsch!

Jay

I thought I helped?

Hey guys,

I did originally post this in the Promedia 5.1 thread, but no one seemed to have any answers for me. I was wondering if I could connect my PMU 5.1 speakers to an amp so that I can take advantage of the decoding options. At first, I was going to use the Creative DDTS-100 system, but Creative discontinued that product, and pretty much all stores have exhausted their supplies of the product. I was wondering if any of you guys could provide me with step by step instructions with connecting my PMU 5.1 speakers to a receiver (Pioneer VSX-517-K/S). First of all, I was wondering if this is even possible. Second of all, the receiver is speced at 110 watts per channel, which is quite higher than the PMU 5.1 rating of 60 watts per channel. This is sorta like saying my car makes 400 hp.... It does not make 400 hp but only when it hits optimal rpm...... It is not an on off button so you can use it fine, also that is a 8 ohm rating the promedia are 6 ohms. Will the satellites be able to handle this amount of power? don't put it that loud? and you must enable the setting to be small since sending a full signal to the promedia will damage the satellites Next comes the complicated part (at least for me). How would I connect these speakers to the receiver? with a speaker cable? The receiver has a 5.1 multi-channel input, if that helps. And if the Pioneer wattage is too powerful, is there any way to bypass the Pioneer amplifier and use the BASH amplifier in the subwoofer? After I install the speakers, will I be able to control the volume from both the control pod AND the receiver? [*Please list any cords/wires I will have to purchase to set this up!*]

Because I ordered the PMU 5.1 set piece by piece from Klipsch, I am limited one channel as the center speaker is on backorder. Is this an issue, i.e. will I still be able to use my subwoofer, despite the absence of a center speaker? Will the receiver automatically recognize this, or will I have to change some settings for compatibility.

Thanks for all your help guys, I greatly appreciate it. You guys are great and so is Klipsch!

Jay

to be honest, i dont know what PMU is, or the Creative stuff you mentioned. But, i can tell you that's it's really easy to hook up a PC to a receiver. Go on ebay or newegg and buy a cheap sound card with a dolby DD/DTS digital pass through (via optical cable). You can get them for about 15 bucks. Then plug it in to any HT receiver and youre good to go.

Sorry if i misunderstood this posting, best of luck

Lee