Buying used Reference speakers - price & age???

jw31

I was looking to get my FIRST set of Klipsch's to upgrade my home theater, and a couple people are selling some RF-3's and RC3's used. Can I easily determine the age based on the serial number or will the label say the year they were made? Is the year just the first digits of the S/N?

What is a fair price for a pair of RF-3's and does it matter too much if they are RF3 or RF3 II's (and is there a major difference other than year of manufacture)?? One ad has the package of 2 RF3's, 1 RC3, 1 KSW-12 and an older yamaha receiver (RXV2095) for $450 (which I think is a screamin deal and may be further negotiable), and another ad has just a pair of RF3's for $300. Is that a fair range?

I'm guessing neither of these will last long, so speed is of the essence! Help me become a Klipsch owner! (btw, if I get the package I may have a KSW-12 for sale in the boston area if anyone is interested...I already have a Hsu VTF-2).

First one screaming (jump on it man,) second one is a good deal.

Only difference between RF-3 and RF-3II is the internal wiring, the II's have "Monster Cable" inside.

I have all of the speakers you talk about here and these are very good for an HT system.

I will also be selling some of mine and will only be "competitive" with those prices you quote - in other words, if the Speakers are in mint shape like mine you better JUMP ON IT!

Good Luck,

~Noah

So, I auditioned the speakers and unfortunately the highlight was the seller. She was SMOKIN!!! Glad the Mrs didn't come. Anyway, it was hard to judge the sound because it was going thru a yamaha receiver (I have a Denon and she didn't know how to use it well) and the DVD player was the only thing hooked up and through ANALOG! So my hell freezes over DVD didn't work and CDs sounded like sh!t.

Also, I'm sure you all know this but5 mins w/a dustrag goes a LONG WAY when you're trying to sell speakers made in 99 and apparently have NEVER been dusted under the grill covers! The clincher tho is that one of the woofers on the RF-3s had a pretty major crease, not on the dustcap either. I know that's not supposed to affect the sound, but since I already own a HT setup, tho not a Klipsch one, I can't justify getting rid of my speakers that are the same age and in FAR better shape, especially to the Mrs!

I think I'll try to make her an offer on the RC-3 alone, and test it out in my system, as the center is my weakest link (even the Mrs agrees there) and it matches cosmetically (my current setup is cherry, but the center is black). I should be able to get it for $100 or less right? Assuming she is willing to sell piece by piece, which is unclear.

My quest to upgrade to Klipsch has hit a snag, but I'll keep going, as anyone knows a QUEST isn't over until it's completed right!?!?