THX Ultra2 Electronics Recommendations

jmdore

Yes... besides your comment of "The Denon appears to be a good value at that price. I could use this as a stepping stone, and should (when?) I go to separates down the road, the Denon could be used to drive the in-ceiling speakers (Speakercraft) on my first floor, as well as my back yard (wired, but no speakers planned until next Summer). Thoughts?" Yes you could use it for then as well. It might be overkill in that capacity, but again a great bridge if you get McIntosh/ Sunfire, who knows, crazy later.... Where you will spend crazy $$$$ later... hehehehehehehe

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks in part to input from these forums I have just taken a major step forward with my Klipsch dominated 7.1 HT (a bit of a different path than in an earlier thread):<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1) I just picked up a pristine Bell Klipsch (1980) as a function of a WTB ad on Audiogon (motivated to place the ad by this forum) to use as a center channel between my Khorns (1981s, original owner) all original equipment.

2) Yesterday I ordered (new) 4 KS-525-THXs (2 pairs) for use as side and rear surrounds, 2 KW-120-THX subs and a KA-1000-THX amp for the subs should be here in the next couple of weeks.

As I am now preparing to move forward with electronics, what if any of the following should be requirements?

1) HDMI?

2) 1080P?

3) Balanced audio connections?

4) TXX Ultra 2 certification (yes, I realize that this is simply a stringent standard, and that not all products qualify and that many fine products, i.e. McIntosh, do not seek it)?

5) In addition, given that the Khorns, Belle and KS-525 all have power handling capabilities of 100w max continues and 400w peak, what should I target as the power capabilities of the related amp(s)?

6) Are there additional critical criteria that should apply (DTS-ES and THX-EX presumably are a given)?

As there are so many choices out there, Ive listed some that have good reviews and/or multiple positive comments from various forums. Im shooting for the $3k (+/-) range, but am willing to go a bit higher (some below will clearly exceed this threshold).

B&K Reference 50 S2

B&K Reference 200.7S2

Emotiva DMC1

Emotiva MPS-1

Outlaw 990

Outlaw 7700

Outlaw 2200 (7 units setting aside price, what are the pros/cons of monoblocks versus the single multi-channel 7700 unit?)

Rotel RSP-1098

Rotel RMB-1077

Sherwood P-965

Sherwood A-965

Sunfire TGP-5

Sunfire TGA 7200

To the extent that people have time to comment or make suggestions, it would be appreciated. Im simply looking for a general direction at this point and am willing to post detail findings later if there is interest.