Refinishing black kg4.2 and/or kg3 to woodgrain? Is it possible/desirable?

jw31

I have the opportunity to get a pair of kg4.2s and a pair of kg3's but each are black and I'd prefer woodgrain. Is the black wood/veneer like the woodgrain models, just stained/painted black? Can I strip/sand all 4 and restain them to something pleasing so that they all match and have a nice look? Would I need to reveneer? (hoping not). We've recently stripped/restained a few antique cabinets with good results, so I'm confident we can do it if it's not a huge PIA to do, and matching won't be a problem because they'd all get the same treatment. Is there a list of what colors/stains would be authentic-ish for those models?

Bigger question, if I do this even w/great results will it affect their resale value at all? I'd be picking them up pretty cheaply (~$100/pr), but I was kind of envisioning this as a try it out and if I like the results and the look I'd keep them, but if not I'd like to at least get back what I paid for them (assuming they look good I just don't have the space/inclination to keep them). If this is a known way to kill any resale value I'll wait to find some non-black ones in need of TLC.

Thanks for your input!

Damn, you'd have to just plain shoot me down huh?!? [:P] Is it because the veneer is too thin, the black lacquer is too thick or because they didn't use a nice woodgrain for the black?

It may still be worth doing as a test project, I've never re-veneered anything before, and this is something nice and squared off to try. I'll post my progress if I get them and decide to give it a go.

If I decide to do that, I assume I'd just sand down to the MDF and go from there right? Thanks!

Read this for another Forum member's experience

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/946783.aspx

Yes the lacquer is very thin and seeps deeply into the veneer. Sanding is not a good option becaues of the thickness of the veneer. It is reputed that Klipsch pulled units from assembly that were not 'pretty veneers' were painted for the black lacquer models. Others used ash wood for the black painted models.

Finally got some pics of the KG3's and they're actually oak! So I don't have to reveneer them, and they appear nice enough visually to not need to refinish them (haven't seen them in person yet tho)! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Great! I had one oiled walnut Heresy that had been painted black at the factory. Was able to remove the black lacquer and restore the walnut. It took a lot of work. The speaker is now doing duty as a center. Its pair is upstairs all alone in a new Bubinga veneer.