HT Setup in House

erikill

So I recently moved into a house with a "great room" and working on setting up everything finally. Here's what I have so far:

Samsung 42" Plasma

Denon AVR-3806

Denon DVD player (1930 or something)

Fronts: Klipsch RF3-II

Center: Klipsch RC3-II

Rears: Klipsch RS-3

I am considering getting a Velodyne DD-12 as my subwoofer. My question is, what do you think would match as a good surround back, or should I increase my fronts? The room is approximately 24" long by 12" wide, however there are 2 open areas into the room which the tv sits between. I was planning on placing the sub in the front left behind a chair in the corner, but that would be around 5' wider than the front left.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I need to plan this out since I will have to pull up carpet to run wire to my rears / sub.

--Erik

Erik,..

Your in a big enough room, I might suggest a bigger sub, a 15" or the new 12d from Klipsch. (BTW, this has a very cool room correction system too!)

It might be slight overkill, but get the RF3- II for your backs too. Timbre wise, you will thank yourself later..

(Use the sides as your sprayed speakers... but go more direct with the back surrounds.. Use RF3-II's and place them the same height as your side surrounds and behind the seating position and semi close together.. so 4- 6 feet in on both sides.. With the 7.1 option, this will add depth. (Use "Flight Of The Phoenix" and hear that big prop plane go over you.... hear your heart beat pound.... as your pulse quickens, and you will thank me later... as it flies off into the distance.)

My biggest advice I feel I can give every time is this...

The center speaker...and the front left and right relationship with it, is the MOST important thing speaker wise in your HT set up!

Keep it the same, or in the same series..

IndyklipschFan

Thanks Indyfan,

Another thing I was thinking about is moving up to RF-7s for fronts, RC-7s for fronts, and then like you said move the RF-3s to rear back, and RS-3s as rear surrounds. Any thoughts on how to use the RC-3, bridge it off the RC-7?

In terms of subs, you think that I need to go larger than 12? I've heard that DD-12, its solid, but DD-15 maybe? I'm getting to that age where too much bass isn't that cool anymore (I had that phase), and more concerned about the crispness of the sound / bass. I have not heard the new Klipsch 12-T, I don't have that much room to put the sub, bc its between a sofa chair and a wall.

Also - I noticed on my receiver I have actually 3 surrounds A+B and surround rear. Anyone ever go with that many surrounds?