Upgrade La Scala with JBL 2490H compression driver? Anybody have any info on these drivers?

heresy2guy

Hey Guys,

There's a fellow I know who has two JBL 2490H compression drivers that he's looking to sell. I've seen them and they look huge compared to the Klipsch K55 midrange drivers on my 1992 and 1993 La Scalas.

I looked at the JBL Pro website ( http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/cmp_drvs.htm and http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2490.pdf )and they said the 2490H has a 4" diaphragm and a massive 3" exit (I think the K55 uses a 2" diaphragm and has a 1" exit...and it's actually necked-down to .75" with the K401 horn, if my memory serves from an earlier post here on the board).

The JBL site also has the 2490H rated at 200 watts continuous from 250hz up (compared to 40 watts for the K55) and has its sensitivity listed as 116db 1w/1m on a JBL 2393 horn and 116 db 1mW (.089 volts)/1m on a 25mm plane wave tube and that the sensitivity with 1 watt on the tube is 30db greater, which I guess would make it 146db with 1w/1m? Am I reading this properly?? It doesn't sound right to me; seems way too high.

At any rate, does anybody know anything about these drivers? The're supposed to be low compression and that, with the big 3" exits, are supposed to make them sound more "relaxed." Problem is, I couldn't use them with the K401 horn; anybody know of any horns that could take a 3" exit driver and be able to deliver the low-end of the 2490H which is 250hz ?

The guy says that JBL doesn't make those drivers anymore and they used to cost $1,000 new, each, but he'd be willing to sell them to me for $500 each. My internet searches haven't come up with anything regarding 2490H prices so I have no clue if what he's saying is correct or whether or not his asking price of $500 each is too steep, or even if it isn't, is there that big of an audible difference between the 2940H and the K55?

Any help/thoughts/insight would be appreciated.

Best,

-H2G

"That will make a nice addition to your LaScala, it's 44"x44"x40"D(with driver), and it barely made it from 400hz to 2.2Khz."

I, for one, have always been partial to - and entertained by - Dennis' subtlety - LOL.

I had no idea a suitable horn would be 4 feet by 4 feet and the driver itself had frequency issues; from what is stated on the JBL Pro website, you'd think it was the Mother of All Midrange Compression Drivers or something.

Then again, if it was, I guess it would still be in production then...

Thanks for helping me out and settin' me straight fellas.

-H2G