La Scala mods

jnorv

After blowing the mid range and tweeters in my Thiels for the second time in 6 months, I decided to drag out my La Scalas for another go. From what I remembered, they were prone to cabinet and horn vibrations. I dampened the mid-range horn with something called Q-pads ( used to dampen automobile panels) and pulled the bug screens from the drivers while I had them out. A 70 pound bag of sand on top killed the top panel vibration. I cut a set of trapezoids to fit between the woofer housing and the side walls from 5/8 particle board. Due to the included angle they hold in place with out glue. The side panel vibration disappeared. These fixes alone made a big difference. I am in the process of building a set of ALK crossovers. My question is, is it worth the effort to front surface mount the horns or to continue the mid range flare rate in the front panel? Since the mid range horn is well over the length to be considered as an infinite horn, this might be over kill.

Jim Norvell