Klipsch Surrounds?

Hi, guys. May I ask a question about surrounds?

A couple of weeks ago I got a pair of Cornwalls in. I followed that up with another Ebay purchase of a Harman Kardon AVR 7200. http://tinyurl.com/2ravtu

I'm about 14 light years ahead of where I was a month ago. [:)] My two rear surrounds are a couple of Radio Shackers that are about 10 years old. If you get the picture I'm putting this together piece by piece. Tonight I played "Chronos", a superb DVD, on the system. It about blew me away it was so good. The Cornwalls kept right up with everything and were sweet as you please. The cheapie Shackers hung in there, too.

I can't complain too much. As an experiment I ran my surrounds from the Pre-Out on the Harman Kardon to the input on my 9 year old $800.00 Yamaha. The first thing that happened is that the Cornwalls required less power to give that full, sweet sound. The second thing that happened is that the surrounds sounded 'ugh'. It was like they were pulled out of the system and placed into another phase warp. They were 'dis-integrated' from the whole mix.

I put the Shackers back on the Harman Kardon and everything came back together again.

It seems to me that these old Shackers suck a lot of power. I'd like to add two more surrounds for 'backs' since this amp will support 7.1. I suspect that the other two inefficient Shackers I have will suck more power and maybe even diminish the quality I get from the Cornwalls if I use them for surround backs. I see what people mean when they talk about the efficiency of Klipsch.

I'm wondering if I could find some Klipsch surrounds on Ebay. I have my Shackers on Atlantic Universal stands and they are up about 40" off the floor. I'm hoping I could find a pair of Klipsch speakers that would fit on these 'bookshelf' size stands. If not, I could lose the stands and start over. It's just that the surrounds have to go on stands in my configuration.

What would you guys suggest for surrounds? Did Klipsch make smaller efficient surrounds that I might find on Ebay? Even though my Harman Kardon has the stones to pump out the juice I'd like to put only efficient speakers in the mix. I want to jealously guard every watt of juice to keep my Cornwalls fed, fat and happy.

Thanks for your comments!

Mike Gallery