upconverting confused

monti23

This has been explained to me a while ago but im still confused about it..In my thought process i think upconverting means.. I can hook my Direct Tv Dish receiver WHICH does NOT have component out only yellow (video) red and white ( audio) threw my Denon 3803 Ins, and out threw myDenon 3803 component out with component cable to my High def Mitsu component in and get a high def component signal? am i way off here or did am i thinking right about this? anyone know ?

The signal coming out of your Denon will be of high definition resolution, but of course it will not look anything like high definition on your TV. Essentially it's a means of consolidating the connections to your TV. In my case, I use my Yamaha 6090 to condense all of my different connections into one HDMI cable so there's less clutter. But as far as signal improvement, there isn't much to be had.

Professor Ham Slap is corrected about cable consolidating but...

Upscaling is when all the signals are scaled to high def resolution (1080i, 1080p, 720p, etc).

Upconversion is when the signals are converted to the output cable type. Composite upconverted to component will not be a high def signal it will be a standard def signal passed over the component cable. The resolution will not change.

What Direct TV receiver do you have? sounds like an older one. Did you know you can upgrade to a new HD system from them. By the end of the year DTV will have almost 100 HD channels available.

You can can get an upgrade for as little as 20.00 if your are kind and a little bit persistent. Here is what I did.

Called asked for new HD20 system. Told it would be 200.00. I was very nice but made sure they new I was unhappy.

Waited 1 hour called back again and asked for customer retention. Told them I spoke to someone earlier and that I was a good customer and had been under the impression that there would be know added cost. Was told this time he would give it to me for 119.95 and credit me 10.00 per month for 12 months so it was like getting it for free. I said to him not to be mean but this sounds like a scam. First guy tells me 200.00 now you tell me 119.00 and I was told no charge when I talked to them some months back when they make a switch. I made sure he knew I was upset but I was still very kind. Ok another hour passes and I call back again. I go thru the same thing and this last supervisor say he will do it for 19.95. This will include the HD 20 receiver, the new 5 LNB dish and installation. I agree to another 2 year commitment and I am now enjoying tones of new HD programming and all for 20.00 oh I mean 19.95...Good Luck!

Scooter