Mullard EL 34

musiclover

Just saw the following ad for Mullard EL 34 tubes on Audiogon: Mullard Blackburn EL 34/6CA7, 00 double halo getters XF2/B4XX for $580 quad set. Seller SAM1104. He states these tubes last 40,000 hrs. Has anyone paid this much for EL 34's and are they worth it? Will they last this long or is he just saying this to sell them. Thanks.

40,000 hours is a bunch of hours. Lots of factors determine tube life. They may live that long but I'm wondering about the "Quality of life".

I'm running The xf1 Mullards now in a ST-70 and a "home brew amp" and I'll say they're the best sounding EL34 I've ever heard.

Just from the sound improvement I'd have to say they're probably worth the money. Biggest "add-on" I've experienced. Cables, wires, and source are important also but the Mullards were like getting new amps with a lot more music.

You might want to look around. The same tubes are available with different manufacturers names on them for less money.

Harry

David,

I lucked out and picked up mine locally from an acquaintance. The minute I turned on the ST-70 it was like getting a new amp. Even out of the box new they blew me away. I had enough to fill a couple of amps with a couple of back ups and sold another quad for $475. I easily could have gotten $600 for them. I look for them now on Ebay just to try to find more at a "bargain" just to have them around. My thinking is I'll buy another amp just for the sound of the Mullards. Doesn't make much sense but that's how much I like them.

Harry