External amp going into protection mode

Bitterhops

I recently purchased RF-3's and four Quintet speakers. I was driving them with a Yamaha M-60 amp and an Adcom GFP-555II pre. All was well until I decided that I wanted to get into home theater!

I recently puchased the Yamaha RX-V800. I had intended to connect my old M-60 amp to the main preout of the receiver and drive my front main speakers with the amp(the RF-3's).

The protection circuit on the amp activates at what seems to be low to moderate volume, only pushing about 1-5watts according to the display meter of the amp. I checked the gain setting on the main level from the set menu, and tried both "normal" and "-10db", but there was little difference.

I also double checked the ohm setting on the back of the receiver and tried input from phono, tape, dvd, and tuner. All had the same result. The 5channel DSP setting produced the most volume, but still not as much as when I had the amp connected to the Adcom pre. The speakers are bi-wired. I connected the mains(RF-3's) straight to the receiver, and more than enough volume for my section of the city is generated. It's just the tweaker in me that thought it would be cool to have the M-60 still be a part of the system. Just wondering if I'm missing something before the amp gets sold down the river along with the pre, equalizer, and tuner?

One other thing that I thought of - I was using the old (10 years) interconnect cable that I either bought or it came with the Adcom pre. It says "Adcom" right on the cable and the RCA plugs. It is a big, heavy sucker! Hmmm...

Anyway, the RF-3's seem to be a great match to the Yamaha equipment. I've read other comments surfing around about the combo being too bright, no decent bass, no warmth. I like it a lot! I had a Yamaha integrated amp(CA-610II I think) hooked up to a pair of Heresy's back in '80, and it really opened my eyes(ears) to what good music reproduction is.

Sounds like something is wired incorrectly. i have a similar problem wiring a person's beauty shop. on of the connectors fell off 1 of the celing speakres and caused the ohms to drop below 2 and thus the protection kicked in.

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 509 5 Disc Yamaha comming soon.

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

Thanks for the reply,

I did have one of the interconnect cables come loose a couple weeks back, and had the circuit kick in, but I checked the interconnect this time and all was tight. It is pretty odd, because the system sounds OK up to a point, and then the amplifier circuit kicks in and I loose the main speakers. The receiver stays on OK so the rear and center speakers keep pumping. I've been reading about interconnects all day, so I'm going to give it a few more trys and check all connections again. I fired off an email to Yamaha, so I'll see if they respond.

BTW, how big a difference do you notice with the sub on or off. I'm running the RF-3's without a sub, and the lows seem plenty to me. I tried sampling some subs at Good Guys, but they didn't have the Klipsch hooked up right. The Energy and Boston subs I heard didn't do much for me.

I ran the 35Hz LF test from the receiver through the RF-3's, and my son came running out of the downstairs bathroom in a panic. Something about the toilet shaking and water splashing. I'm afraid for structural integrity with the addition of a sub!

My ksw-12 helps out alot. I also have RF-3's and cant imagine having a ht setup without a subwoofer. It gives you that extra thump when spaceships, cars, bombs blowing up, and all other special effects take place on a dvd!!!

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 509 5 Disc Yamaha comming soon.

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

It's fixed! And yeah, the interconnect from the receiver to the amp must have been loose before. Running the mains through the M-60 DOES make a noticable difference. I think I'm doomed. My ears are starting to pick up those subtle elements of sound quality again. Damn!

I'm really VERY satisfied with the sound coming out of the system now. In a few months I'll probably sample a sub, but I want to wait until I can afford a good one like the ksw-12.

We're going to run Pearl Harbor through the sysrem later today. So far we've played Mellencamp's latest, Creed, and Zappa's Yellow Shark this morning. The best sounding system I've ever heard, if I do say so!

Again, thanks for responding. I've seen you participating in several threads while I've been lurking around this forum. This is my absolute favorite forum for audio/video equipment info and entertainment. I've learned a lot in the past couple of months. Now the knowledge is starting topay off!

Happy New Year!