What sub to get with my new RF-82 HT setup?

tbongiorno

I hope this is in the correct forum.  I am about to pull the trigger on a RF-82, RC-62, and RS-52 HT package.  I know the sub that Klipsch recommends is the RSW-10d.  I was planning on going in that direction, but the local Klipsch dealer is pushing a Sunfire D-12 (identical to the HRS-12) on me hard.  He is giving me great deal on the package and the D-12 is significantly cheaper than the RSW-10d.  He was really REALLY excited about the D-12.  It is kinda funny, he didn't even have any Klipsch subs or the Sunfire D-12 on the floor.  I had nothing to even evaluate.  The closest evaluation I had was the local Magnolia (Best Buy) which had a RW-12d on display with a RF-82 set.  The two other dealers in my area, either recently moved or just became an authorized dealer and had no Klipsch Reference on display at all yet.  I feel I am going to have to make this sub decision on research alone.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone know anything about the Sunfire D-12?

2) Is the RSW-10d a better sub?

3) Is the RSW-10d a truly good mate to the rest of the setup?

4) Should I go with the Klipsch recommendation as I originally intended?

5) How does the RW-12d compare to the RSW-10d? 

Do you find that the RSW-10d mates well with the RF-82's? I find it interesting that Klipsch recommended the RW-12 with the RF-35 and the RSW-10d with its successor the RF-82. There is a significant price difference, but what else makes them different. There isn't anything obvious from the cut sheet except the the 12x1 vs 10x2.

Guest IVstringer

I own RF-82's with a RSW-10d. I find them a good match. I set the RSW-10d level at 0dB and it seems to match the RF-82 output level quite well. Basically, I translate this to mean that the intended gain structure matches well, I don't have to crank the sub level to its maximum just to get up to par on output.

There are significant differences between the RW-12 and RSW-10d.

1. RW-12d is ported, RSW-10d uses a passive radiator.

2. Space. The RSW-10d footprint is significantly smaller. I chose it because I have a small corner in which to fit a sub.

3. The RSW-10d has a rear-firing active driver, which improves corner loading.

4. RW-12d = 350W amplifier, RSW-10d = 500W amplifier.

5. RSW-10d only has line-level inputs, while the RW-12d has speaker-level connections as well. Sounds like you're going to use a receiver with a LFE out, so not a big deal here.

So the price difference is reflected in more amplifier power, and size/form factor. Not sure about the Sunfire sub you mention, but take a hard look at dimensions and compare output vs. size. I don't seem to see any specs for the D-12 on their website, so it's hard to compare unless you listen. Also, it looks like the D-12 lacks DSP. The RSW-10d has DSP EQ modes that you can select from, which I'm sure the D-12 lacks because it only has analog knobs. I do have to admit that I enjoy the fact that all of the controls are on the front of the subwoofer (in a nice clean LCD menu), so no having to reach for the back of the sub to make adjustments.

Hope that is enough information for you. I hope you enjoy your new toys!

Thank you very much! You have been very helpful. The D-12 is the same as the HRS-12 according to sunfire. I called them and they said that they just gave is a glossy finish and renamed it the HRS-12.

The specs:

Power: 1000 W

Freq Response: 18-100 Hz

SPL: 108 dB

Freq Filtration Design: Yes

Auto EQ: No

Box Size: 13.5" cube

Wieght: 38 lbs

BTW: I am leaning towards the RSW-10d even with its premium price.