Sub-10 vs. RPW-10

Saydrum

Anyone have an opinion on which one is an overall better sub. These both fall into my budget and seem on paper to satisfy my needs-which is mostly movies and a small amount of music. My fronts are RF-3 II. Yamaha receiver. Smallish room (15x18) I know a lot of people have opinions on front vs. down firing but the sub-10 seems to have a lower frequency response. Thanks in advance. Been reading the forums for years; glad to be a member.

I have the RPW-10 and am very pleased with it. It will not shake your house of the foundation (which my wife would not tolerate anyways), but it has a very pleasing, and tight bass, and more than adequate power. I have the volume set at only 1/4 in a bigger room than yours. I used the Radio Shack sound meter to calibrate it to my other speakers. (RB51's, RC52, and RB10's) I would suggest that you demo both subs, and pick the one you like the best. Best Buy carries both of them, and allows you to return them within 30 days, no questions asked.

Thanks for the input. I demoed both and went with the sub-10 ($217+tax) It has a bit lower frequency response and all the other specs were vitually identical; plus I couldn't pass up the price. Do you use the sound meter to figure in the sub volume also? Been doing it by ear but I think I may need to invest in one if it will make a big difference.

Thanks for the article. I couldn't tell a big difference between the two and I don't know what makes a down-firing better or worse than a front firing so I went by spec and price. I am using it on hardwoods so maybe there would have been more of a difference in a quieter room. Any ideas on placing some kind of "mat" (ie small carpet, rug) under a down-firing to tighten it up? It's not that it needs it but if there's a sound benefit, I'm in.