La Scala

organ

Hey all,

Just wanted to post some experience I have with my early 90's LS after many months of playing around. Got them used from a dealer in mint cond. AL-3 x-over, not sure which woofer I got, K-55-M mids and changed tweets to Bob Crites CT-125.

The soundstage and overall sound becomes much bigger when they are raised off the floor. I have each corner of my LS sitting on 4 layers of hockey pucks. This raised them high enough that when I'm at the listening position, my ears are the same height as the mid horn. I've seen many people complain about LS not sounding as "big" as KHorns. I"ve never heard KH's but couldn't understand why it would sound smaller even though they use the same tweets and squaker. So you LS owners should try raising the LS a bit and see what happens. In my rig it made a dramatic improvement.

I LOVE my Crites CT-125 tweeters. IMO, it is an upgrade over the K-77-M that came stock with my LS. To my ears, the resolution is much better and I feel like they have better high freq. extension.

Treating the room also made a dramatic improvement. I work in a restaurant and have no problem getting egg cartons. So I placed the egg cartons on the back wall. I'm using the long wall for the LS, so my couch sits very close to the back wall. I thought the improvement would only be in the high freq's but I got improvements in every area. I was surprised how the soundstage became deeper and the bass comes out stronger. I hear people talk about treating the room all the time but didn't realize how improtant it was until I tried it. I always thought my room was fine.

I don't want to start a war here, just want to give my impression of different amps I've used. I have 2 SET amps. A pair of 6C33 mono block SETs and an int amp using 300B tubes. Right now I'm using a NAD pre/amp combo. With 300B's, the bass is lacking (compared to the 6C33 and SS NAD), but I think it has the best overall "tone" in the upper bass and mids, even though it's lacking in dynamics. Also the soundstage is much nicer with 300B. They give that "spooky" effect when listening to vocalists. The 6C33 is 20/ch of pure SET power. Much better in bass and dynamics, but not as "sweet" as the 300B. Recently, I connected my NAD combo and really like the dynamics/slam/impact that SS can belt out. The mids and highs are not as good as tubes, but when I want to rock out, I go SS. I also have a Dyna ST-70 which I"ve yet to try on the LS.

So now I have some questions.... Should I also treat the front and side walls to improve the sound? Which SS amp will give me crazy slam/dynamics and impact? I was thinking about checking out some pro amps like Crown, but don't want one with a fan. Not saying the NAD is not enough, but this is one area I want to maximize because along with vocals, oldies and classical crossover, I also love black metal and symphonic metal. This is where SS really shines with the LS.

If you have some tips on tweaking the LS, please share them. The audio road never ends.

Nevermind the sig, I need to change it.

Currently using Original CD-A8T tube CD player, NAD C160 pre, NAD C270 amp. The tube equipments are taking a rest right now.

Other speakers I own are Polk Audio RT-15, Polk Audio LSi9, Klipsch RF-35 and a pair of 1982 Cornwall.

• Like 1

The soundstage and overall sound becomes much bigger when they are raised off the floor.

Your going to lose some bottom end that way. But I agree they sound better up in the air more. I have split La Scala's. The Dog House is on the floor and the tops are literally on top of a Auralex Gramma system with a sturdy milk carton in top of that, then with some sound dampening material on top of that to keep everything clean (Vibration free) between the 2 cabinets. Just like you, having the la Scala up higher it is MUCH better.. not just a little bit, but WAYYYY better than so close to the floor.

GRAMMA Sound Isolation Riser - Acoustic sound isolation

GRAMMA

Dimensions:

23" long x 15" wide x 2.75" high

Weight Limit: 300lbs.

GRAMMA

The
GRAMMA (Gig and Recording, Amp and Monitor, Modulation Attenuator) is
an incredibly effective patented device that's used to float an amp or
loudspeaker. GRAMMA yields nearly total acoustic isolation, resulting in a purity of tone that has to be heard to be believed!

Add some subs, and you will be in heaven!