help with room dimentions

InVeNtOr

i have a ht room with the dimentions 15' wide, 25' length, and 9' height. there is also some slopes in the room. i have a quick drawing of it. if you look you will see dotted lines. those are the slopes in the room. the left wall has a 3' slope and the fwd and rhight wall have a 1' slope. i am hoping that i can match the slopes on the left and right wall so the room isn't odd shaped. it would be great if i could match the 1' slope but i think it's going to be the 3' slope. so keep those in mind. the remaing part of the room is a walk way, about 6' wide and then the stairs. i am starting to like the idea of the 15' wide room because i think i can build the et center into the right hand wall. of course this home is about 2years from being build and i haven't even spoken to the builder yet to see if any of this is possible, but it's nice to have something ready when the time comes.

any help with the room dimentions would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys for all the help!

david

basic room.pdf

A quick question:

Can you tell me which direction the stairway is pointed? Do they exit the room as by the red arrow meaning that there is no wall there in the room itself; or do you walk around a wall to the walkway and access them as with the blue arrow (meaning that there is a solid wall where the stairs appear to join the room (at the green line)?

Does this make sense?

post-23237-1381935472082_thumb.png

mas, here this might help with what i am trying to do. my question is where should i add a wall. i have the option the square off the room at any point. i put the imaganary wall at an unknown dimension. i put all the speakers (7) that will be in the room in a generic placement. (i will use dolby's specks to put them in exact placement but i need to know how long of a room to have built). i know after the room is built and speakers are placed, i will have to hire someone to figure out where to but bass traps, and all the other things i will need. right now i am just looking for how big of a room to make it.

by the way, how do i put the drawing into the post?

basic room.pdf

Using just one of the many available similar tools, here are two possible options that match the 'golden' ratios.

But before you feel that you have to adhere to such calculations, they will not save you from much.

By this I mean that you will still have standing waves/room modes.

They will just not be as distributed as they might be - meaning that some will be closely clustered and will sum. But in any case you are not going to avoid them. Also, such calculators are approximate! They assume a PERFECT rectagular space with perpendicular sufrace interfaces, no door openings, nor window irregularities, etc.

So the calulators simply give you an idea. Simply put, the most useful dimensions to avoid are those which share common denominators.

But I would not be overly concerned with the dimensions except to try to avoid those where the dimensions share common denominators. And a square room is he worst of all!

Simple measurements will give you the REAL standing wave frequencies that must be addressed - as they will not be the same as predicted even by the best calculator based upon ideal dimensions and math. The calculator simply gives you an idea - a starting point. And as you can see, the larger dimensions in the calculator provide a closer match, real aspects neglected, than does the smaller alternative, despite their matching the ideal ratios. I would not be very excited to recommend the smaller dimensions when a larger multipurpose room might serve your needs better.

But of course it is your decision!

Does this make any sense? [;)]

post-23237-13819354743076_thumb.png

And a smaller calculated set of dimensions that 'deally satisfy the criteria - but remember, your sloped ceiling, etc. are already variations from the ideal assumed by the calculations!

BTW, even with 'ideal' dimensions, there is still some clustering of modes.

post-23237-13819354743806_thumb.png

Here is the modal response of the room 'as is'. You will note that the penalty is not substantially different. And remember, your room is not a perfect rectangular space.

Ironically the grouping is not necessarily as severe, but several individual modes are a bit more prominent.

Are you sure that you need or want a very small divided space? I might opt for the larger space, but it is certainly up to you! I'm just trying to present a few options with the various pros and cons.

post-23237-13819354744426_thumb.png

no i don't want a small space. i will go with the 15' width room. i would like to add a rear wall because i don't want downstairs to hear (or have to hear) what i am watching). it seems it would be best to NOT have a rear wall but i really would like one. the cost of adding the wall is zero, so it won't be a money thing, i would like to keep the sound from reaching other people.

i cantaced dolby digital to see what they think. i will let everyone know if they have anything too important to tell me....

okay, i went to dolbydigital.com and use their numbers. i also went to thx.com and used their video numbers. thx states: (diagonal" / .84) if i use that formula i come up with 100" screen / .84 = 119.5". so i made a straight line 120" (10') and then put dolbys angles in. i then looked at where the rear speakers would fall into and put the back wall there. i am not saying i will but a back wall, but if i would, that's where the numbers say it should be. i will let everyone put in what they think, to see if it looks good or bad. now that i am going with a bigger room, i just might go bigger screen. i haven't done any reasearch on screen sizes vs. 1080p projectors, if someone knows of a great screen size or a size that is too big, please list it so i don't waste any time picking out the wrong size.

here is the pic in autocad so i know the angles and dimensions are accurate. i used these two sets of numbers because i felt that would give me the most accurate dimenstions or at least a really good starting point.

looking at the drawing i could go to 20' in lenth, if i chose the wall idea. maybe having round numbers will be the way to go.....

thanks to all

dolby set up.pdf

hey guys...girls also, i just thought of this. alright the room is 15x25....and one of the things i would like, is to keep the sound out, but also light from the downstairs. how would this idea work....put a curtain up, not at the 19' or 20' mark, but at the aft wall/ stair portion? basically closing off the room from the point of the half wall. that way no light gets in ( or at least very little) and it will help block some of the sound. i am also assuming that with the extra 6' of space (from the rear speakers to the curtian) it shouldn't hurt the sound, or make the room muffled. does any of this make sence? let me know if this sounds like a good idea.