Harman Kardon AVR-7200 vs. AVR-7300

In a previous post I mentioned I'm having a devil of a time getting my AVR-7200 repaired. I use it with my Cornwalls.

I might be able to get a new HK AVR-7300. Has anyone here used the AVR-7300? Would you know if it produces the same sound as the AVR-7200? The 7200 works very very well with my Cornwalls. I guess the 7300 does some kind of upconverting on video signals which is not a big deal to me. Mostly I just want the sound of a 7200.

(There isn't a 7400, is there?)

Thanks much!

Mike Gallery

Thanks for the info, guys.

I did some more digging today. I called an HK rep. Those guys are always very nice and helpful. I think they really care about their customers. I asked the guy what was up with my 2nd attempt at a repair of my AVR-7200 and he seemed somewhat astonished that I'm in round #2 of a repair adventure.

I'm disappointed that HK doesn't do factory repair of their units. Everything has to go out to their "service centers". We also discussed what's going on with their product line. They're going for the mass market by selling everything through Best Buy. Well, Best Buy is about the last place I'd go for audio equipment. <-: The rep said that more and more people are wanting the video upconvert features now (DVD to HDTV) rather than the high quality audio their former flagship units provided. I guess Klipsch's, especially Cornwalls, aren't in "vogue" much in the mass market. <-: In other words people want "home theater" kits rather than more serious configurations.

I suggested to him that HK should still provide high end units for those of us willing to pay for higher quality and he agreed. Without a doubt they make great high end receivers but there's something missing in the HK equation. I don't know if it's a lack of understanding of their equipment on the service center side or a lack of their willingness to make high ended lines, but something's gone awry.

Mike Gallery

Listened to the AVR-7300 for a week with the Cornwall IIs and the sound quality is comparable to the AVR7200 that I have (I actually bought the AVR-7300 used ($300) for a friend). The Faroudja DCDi video proccessing is a plus - though I'm kinda partial to the classier look of the AVR7200.

Hope that helps,

Frank.