2 Amps W/ 2 Preamps???????

bytor74

Hey all....Just got done purchesing an Adcom5400 960W 2 channel power amp and have the option to get the pre-amp, but not sure if I need it. Heres the question...I have an Anthem PVA 5 amp (Love) that throws out 120 x 5. If I want to drive my new Klipsch R7's (also just got) w/ the new Adcom amp and the remaining channels w/ my PVA 5, should I get the Adcom pre-amp because of the diffrence in power between the 2 amps is huge? This way I would go (w/ my front 2 channels) from my B&K pre-amp to the Adcom pre-amp to the speakers (thinking I could control the volume to the fronts to match the remaing speakers). My remaing speakers would go through the Anthem. OR...should I just go directly to the Adcom w/out a pre-amp and adjust volume in my B&K pre-amp???? This is the question, and probebly pretty easy for most of you, so let me know ASAP so that I may assemble this beautiful monster w/out any question as to my best possible set-up. Let me know people. [:D]

-Bytor

I hope I can answer this.

Hey all....Just got done purchesing an Adcom5400 960W 2 channel power amp and have the option to get the pre-amp, but not sure if I need it.

Heres the question...I have an Anthem PVA 5 amp (Love) that throws out 120 x 5.

If I want to drive my new Klipsch R7's (also just got) w/ the new Adcom amp and the remaining channels w/ my PVA 5, should I get the Adcom pre-amp because of the diffrence in power between the 2 amps is huge?

This way I would go (w/ my front 2 channels) from my B&K pre-amp to the Adcom pre-amp to the speakers (thinking I could control the volume to the fronts to match the remaing speakers).

My remaing speakers would go through the Anthem.

OR...should I just go directly to the Adcom w/out a pre-amp and adjust volume in my B&K pre-amp????

This is the question, and probebly pretty easy for most of you, so let me know ASAP so that I may assemble this beautiful monster w/out any question as to my best possible set-up. Let me know people. Big Smile

-Bytor

If I read this right you have the B&K pre already, good. If this is a 5 or 7.1 system connect the fronts to the Adcom for the RF7 and leave the rest hooked up as they are to the Anthem. The differences of the amp output is moot for the pre-amp, thats why it is there to control everything.[:D] Of course you have to readjust everything to balance the fronts to center and surround due to the large difference in wattage. This is best done with a dB meter, search the site for info or mabie someone with more experience will chime in and help with adjustments.

Hope this helps.

Ran

Hey, thanks alot Ran. I thought the question was so stupid that nobody was anwsering for that reason. I ended up getting the Adcom pre-amp and amp, but really diden't need too, this is the reason...I did exactly as you wrote and tested the adcom 960W amp for the fronts VS just connecting to the Anthem. Guess what???? The 125W Anthem KILLED it!!!! The sound was much clearer and defined, and the sound stage got much warmer and roomier. Most of all though the highs were no longer harsh in any way, no matter how loud I put it. This is a first hand account that its not how many watts, but the quality of the watts. I've learned my lesson. The adcom components work fine, I just think, or scratch that, I KNOW that Anthems watts are just that much better for whatever reason. But thanks again Ran for fiving my question a go, made me feel a bit better.

Later[:D]

Bye the way, I'm having trouble getting pictures to load into my profile. I basically choose a file location, enter it, then it just shows a small red x that I had tried to put a picture in. I also tried to size it different ways, but it still did not work...any Ideas? Thanks Ran.