RW-12d vs RT-12d: Upgrade or Not?

shelbydz28

I have the RF-83 system, sans RT-12d, for which I have substituted an RW-12d for the time being. I have the upgrade bug, but am on the fence about spending the cash. Give me some good reasons why I do or don't need to spend the extra $$$$ to upgrade. What will I notice the most, what won't be different, etc. The system is used 50/50 Home Theater / 2.1 Channel audio. I currently use the sub for frequencies below 40Hz on the FL and FR speakers. I don't really care about loudness necessarily because the system is never really turned up all the way or even half way for that matter. What I do care about is musical accuracy, noticeably lower Hz, and movie special effects ‘wow’ factor. My room is about 18x16x9 with large openings to the other rooms in the house. These speakers will eventually move to a dedicated HT room, but for now are in the living room. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Doug

I recently bought myself an RT-12d for Christmas. Its replaces a KSW-12. My system consists of a RF-5, RC-35, RS-35 setup in a very dead room. My AV is setup in a basement room and nothing moves, absolutely nothing. You can stand right in front of the sub and feel nothing through the floor into your feet. After putting the RT-12d in place I still have the dead floor but now there is tons of air moving around. This thing shakes the whole house! You can feel the sub upstairs on the other side of the house. You can feel the air pounding you in the other rooms downstairs. I am very happy with this speaker. For placement it sits between a sofa and a loveseat in the corner of the room. This gives me easy access to the control panel on top of the sub to change it as I feel. It is the Cherry wood version and looks fantastic sitting there on the floor. As for any 'confusion' with the controls (which I've seen as an issue when researching the sub) don't worry about that. After you have punched the buttons enough times you can control this thing in the dark. The effects options are a nice feature. My preference right now is for the Depth option. Is seems to give that litte bit extra for my situation (room). Depth is not great for all music so I change to Flat when it seem to be too much. I did get busted by my buds for spending the $$ on this but I wanted to stay with the Klipsch line so I splurged. You will not be let down if you go this route.

The ultimate would be TWO rt-12d's....but I digress....

I purchased the RF-83 system from my local Klipsch installer (not a DEALER, per sei) and he gave me a huge discount over the MSRP. The price he gave me on the sub was @ $1400.0, down from the 1995.00 msrp. A couple of near-new models went on ebay recently for just over $1,000. So it would be possible to have two of them for the price of one/your limit....

$.02...

• 2 months later...

Not sure about any 'ultimate' but after a couple of months with my rt12d, I am extremely happy with this sub. Hell, this thing can be felt outside when I have it cranked up. Putting two of these into any room would require some serious space. Maybe you are some punk *** kid with a single room that your father lets you live in where you have the means to afford the volumous space needed for two 12ds. I am yet a humble working man living in a simple split level and one 12d is more (and my mother would say way more) than enough to shake the foundation. Everyone that has been in the house to exeperience the power of this sub has been awed. On top of that the Klipsh sound has blown them away from anything that they have ever heard or experienced in similar environment. Suffice it to say that horns do have a special sound and the 12d does fit in with the whole of the experience. From my personal experience of setting up my AV is that the room has a huge impact on the expected sound. I had no idea that it would take so much power on the bottom end to compliment the brightness of the rest of the system. I started with a KSW12 that came with the set of speakers that I purchased and it simply did not have the impact I wanted for my AV. The RT12d has been phenomenal as a replacement to that sub. This is not to say that the KSW12 is a bad sub.. Is was just not right for my living room. The plan is to use it in my bedroom. Sorry Klipsch but there will be a YSP4000 goiing with that sub. HINT HINT please look into a (horn loaded) speaker bar that can be mounted under an LCD [with HDMI]. Your 2 cents have thus been refunded and scratch tickets returned in their place. It is so extremely appearent that you have yet to hear the subs in any 'real' home accoustic setting that it may also be possible that the RF-83s are in need of some serious tending for sub support.

Without a doubt, the RT12D is an awesome piece of machinery that warrants serious consideration for those with a need and a means.

My RT12d sits very proudly in the corner of the room, oh so exposed and oh so loud!

$1400.... (Money talks!) ($.02 walks)