Plug your amp into your pre/pro?

damonrpayne

It would appear my new pre/pro has a handy plug-in where I could plug my amp into it, thereby turning my amp on/off with the pre/pro. This would be handy since my amp doesn't have a 12v trigger and turning on the switch is tons of work[6].

I'm sucking a lot of power to fill a large room w/sound. I'm wondering if anyone had a bad experience using this type of plug for their amps?

Damon:

I don't know about your pre/pro, but in my experience, manufacturers will tell you NOT to plug an amplifier into the switched receptacle on a pre-amp. What does your manufacturer recommend?

That being said, I've got an Optonica SM-4305 amp plugged into a switched receptacle on my Carver CT-17 pre-amp in the garage system and it works fine - but the Optonica is only 40 wpc & has a "soft" or delayed power on, so it doesn't draw a lot of current or cause a big transient spike when it powers up.

James

It probably has a 100w max draw or somesuch... most of them do... kinda like the ones on cable boxes. I would advise against it myself, and actually plug it into a power conditioner of some sort that can handle the hit your amp would deliver.