1.2 vs SS-1 in 5.1 Set-up - No Side Walls

Matt M

I'm trying to decide if I should stick with my current 1.2s for surrounds or buy some SS-1s. With my room setup, the seating is 4' from the rear wall. The side wall is 14' away. Should I stick with the direct-radiating 1.2s, mount them on the rear wall and angle them down toward the listening area, or get the SS-1s and flush mount them to the rear wall? I assume that a side wall distance of 14' is too far to place a side surround (if I'm mistaken please let me know). Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt - That's a tough one to answer, because it's a lot of personal preference. The typical thinking is that rear effects for theater should be dispersed, and not be able to be localized very much. Hence the design of the SS-1 (WDST), which disperses the sound yet can localize as needed. However, rear effects for music should be more localized, so a direct radiating speaker like your 1.2's are preferred.

You'd almost have to get a pair of SS-1s in there and listen to them compared to the 1.2s to see what you like better. Most dealers have a return policy that should enable that type of trial.

Doug

------------------

My System