Seeking Guidance from the Collective Intelligence...

Twenty Watt

OK...I bought a very cool pair of older mahogany speaker cabinets that originally housed an Altec 605A with a N1600 crossover. This is a 15" speaker with both a driver and a horn (Duplex). I bought them because they were very similar to a pair of cabinets my father made back in the early 60's. They warm my heart. They have a little overf 4 cubic feet of volume.

I need some guidance in what to load in these things. Here are a few early thoughts.

• Find a pair of Altec 605 A and load 'em back up. Problem with this option is I'm choking on the cost...probably around $1000 for a pair on evil bay.
  • I'm considering buying a pair of ragged out Heresy's and making a new baffle for my cabs and loading the Heresy components in the new baffle. This is pretty affordable but I"m not sure that Heresy components will sound good in the larger cabinet...I suspect they will though!
  • Last option I'm considering is to buy another pair of "duplex" type of 15" like Jenson's or University's but I'm not very educated in what a good selection would be...I don't want a pair of lame ones that I'll end up replacing.

I'll be using these with either a Dynaco SCA-35 or a Dynaco Stereo 70.

Your thoughts and collective guidance would be very appreciated.

c79b_1.JPG

The interiior dimensions are as follows:

• Height 23 7/16" inches
  • Width 18 13/16" inches
  • Depth 17"

The "mountable surface" on the baffle interior is 19 1/4" tall and 15 1/2" wide. This is NOT enought room for the Heresy's woofer/mid horn/tweeter combination...I just measured my Heresy's and the compenents require another 3/4 '. Perhaps I could mount the tweeter on the side next to the horn...

Thanks for your interest.

f0d8_1.JPG