Rear speaking mounting advice

Hank_Vilmes

Hello, I just put together my first home theater system (F-1's, C-1, S-1's, SW-10D & Harman Kardon AVR-247; working on a budget, be nice [:P]) and I had a question about mounting my rear speakers. With the odd layout of the room everything is going in, speaker stands are practically out of the question which leaves mounting the speakers. My question is; when mounting these, if I do not want to use the 1 screw hole on the speaker and would like to use my own mounts, can I drill into the wooden cabinet of the speaker and will it cause me to lose any quality? I need to be able to get the speakers out from the wall so I can get tham at about a 45 degree angle with the wall, and angled downwards roughly 15 degrees and without having to spend tons of money on speaker mounts I figured I'd get some nice cheap flat panel mounts that will let me do that, but it would require me drilling into the cabinet. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

A couple of ideas.

First,not knowing about the speakers themselves, my guess is that most are made of MDF. They will not hold screws securely (especially over time with applied vibration) and yes, it will damage the value of the speaker.

Home made speaker mounts can be rather easily made with a table saw, a drill, screws and glue. These should be securely attached to the wall with lag screws.

If you are careful, speaker shelves/mounts can be made that will angle the speaker downward; provided that you adequately allow for a base lip to prevent the speaker from slipping off the base and a tensioning strap that securely fits around and over the speaker to securely attach it to the shelf.

Have you checked out Omnimount speaker mounts? They used to have a tool on their website where you could find compatible mounts based on speaker model, and some of them could articulate pretty well (which may address your need and still let you use the Klipsch-provided mounting connection on the cabinet).

Your first set of surrounds should go on the SIDE walls. Mount them flat to the walls about 5-6 feet off the floor. Even if you sit against the back wall (not ideal for surround sound), placing the speakers on the side walls about 3-4 feet forward of the corners will yield better results than having the speaker shooting over your head from the back wall or angled downwards.

Remember the idea is to get a wide, diffuse sound pattern. They are like a rain shower, not a laser beam.

The problem with the OmniMounts is that they require either two of four mounting screws. The S-1 only has a keyhole mount so the only real option to make a shelf with a lip for the speakers.

James

Make an adapter plate out of wood, with 2/4 holes for the OmniMount bracket, and a thread-matched bolt for the S-1....